Friday, January 27, 2017

Home Water...1-25-17

I paid a visit to some familiar waters Wednesday to see how the recent rains affected the stream and what I saw pleased me very much. The stream was up to what I would consider normal and what I found swimming in it's waters was somewhat of a surprise. When these rains come they can change a small stream quickly. They cause leaves, branches and even larger logs to move creating new pools and altering runs. Some silted areas are scoured out and create beautiful gravel bottoms which soon are occupied by trout. I set out to fish a few of these newly created spots and see what I could find.

There is something magical about a small stream in winter. The flow of the water is usually the only sound you hear, and this was the case that day. The weather was so nice, except for the blustery wind gust now and then. Air temps were 40-45.


First of the day, a hungry young lady taken in the run above. Look at the size of her eye, they don't miss a thing be it food or man.


This is a favored run. It has changed over the years many times. When my grand kids were small we would visit here. They once created a small stone deflector in stream and for the longest time I could fish it and be certain to take a strike. "Grand Kids Run"


This is how I fished this run. The diagram looks like a child drew it but that's how it will go into my notes. I hope it helps.


This wild brown came from "Grand Kids Run", can you guess where?


Cane and Silk 4'10" 2wt glass...have I told you how much I love this rod.


Filled up and ready to produce.


The trout were in such great shape.


A very interesting riffle-pool, and riffle pool.


The first section gave up this brown, a different looking brown than the one caught earlier. This one is almost silver. I hope that bulge in her stomach is not a brookie.


This brookie was taken in the run by the hemlock just downstream from where the brown was taken.


It was a fine day on "Home Waters"


















24 comments:

  1. Nice stream and trout once again Alan. The Brownies looked like they were in good condition for this time of year (the two in the photos both had nice little fat belly's!). I hope the trout in my stream are in similar condition when we start over here in March.
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair those trout were in fantastic shape. We had a dry hot summer here but it seems this stream fared very well.

      Delete
  2. Alan, I am glad to see your stream in great shape along with the healthy trout? Did the brown from grandkid's run hit alongside the log on the right? That would be my guess.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam he actually hit in the seam between the two riffles. He may have been sitting beside the log but saw the fly and hit in the seam.

      Delete
  3. Alan, that first little brookie is one that I caught the first time you and Kirk showed me that stream. I remember it vividly because it has no red spots and those amazingly large yellow spots. I'm sure its the same one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle
      Thanks
      Rowan that was a long time ago. That brookie is a true survivor. No blue spots, some what of an oddity.

      Delete
  4. So nice to see a healthy flow again and the trout doing fine! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the break in the winter weather weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark that stream was prime. Nice to fish without ice jams in the stream and in the rod guides.

      Delete
  5. A mighty fine day it was, Alan. Man, I sure enjoyed this post and looking at the water and trying to read the water through online pictures. Most likely never, but sure wish, I could visit this stream with you one day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel fly tyin Times
      Thanks
      Mel you would truly enjoy this stream. It's not a back breaker like some.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post, the wild trout, flowing stream and the little bit of snow that adds a certain beauty to those photos!! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete that's how I like my snow, not to deep and very picturesque.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for what you do here, I live in Michigan and fish small streams much like yours. although a majority of our streams are closed until the last Saturday in april, which is probably a good thing here. Please keep it coming to us.
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      Mike your not unknown here. We appreciate your comments.
      Many of our wild trout streams remain open year round. They do have C&R restrictions in play on some.

      Delete
  8. Alan,
    This post is a classic and very enjoyable! I am still amazed at the size of these beautiful waters and the tenacious brookies and browns that live there in! I think I was born to fish just as you do and in the places you fish! Somehow, I wound up in Southeast Ohio with lots of water but, hardly a brookie or brown to be found! I do have bluegill and crappie and largemouth and smallmouth bass and rock bass and.....so I am not without action at anytime of the year! I do envy your state, your region, your home waters and all the inherent beauty they posses! We are all blessed that you have chosen to share them with us and you do this quite well! Please continue to do what you are doing here for as long as you can!
    Of a like mind and mind-set,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug as to being resident of SE Ohio, it indeed may have some pluses, for one the variety of warm water fishes, and the very capable way you ties flies to capture those fish. As I have said many times I'm so grateful to be where I am.
      I will do my best to keep things going on my end.

      Delete
  9. Alan, it's wonderful to hear from different people throughout this country and read what their "home" waters are like. Your blog has brought all of us a fine appreciation of your wonderful resource. I thankyou . You really had a great day on home waters with being able to catch such a variety, of course the spider wins again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad, who is from SE PA. and has brought some very interesting comments to this blog. As it was said that is one of the reasons this blog is so good and informative. It's because of you.
      As far as the spiders are concerned...as long as those little winter stones are around I think they will be the flies of choice.

      Delete
  10. It's so useful to keep diagrams of runs like that, makes it more obvious when you come back next year and see something has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ben
      Thanks
      Ben I don't always do diagrams, mostly the interesting happenings that take place at the ones I do.

      Delete
  11. Careful Alan, last time I drew a diagram like that my therapist wife looked at it and had me put away for a while. Seriously, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard Jeanette says it looks very much like the one that's on our fridge...kids made it in kindergarten.

      Delete
  12. Do you know the status of Cane and Silk? Tried to contact them with no success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Did you e-mail him?
      He also has a phone number and seems to respond to that quicker. Just leave a message and Mike will get back to you. Number is 610-533-9935

      Delete