Friday, July 13, 2012

An Evening of Wonderful Surprises


I teamed up with Kirk yesterday to fish the Farmington. We got to the river about 4 pm. Sunny and bright, water that was cold and so very clear. Kirk moved to the shady side of the river and I was going to work the faster riffles a bit up stream. We both started fishing dries, and soon realized it was going to be a tough outing. There were fish rising about but we could not determine what was on the menu. It was about an hour later, and many different flies that I got my first hookup. A small brown who was very energetic. The fly he chose to take was a partridge and orange soft hackle. A cast or two later and the soft hackle put another brown in the net.


We continued to fish this section for awhile. Kirk had fish rise to his flies but kept missing. I never had another hit after the last brown. This river has a way of humbling an angler for sure.
These two browns found the soft hackle to there liking. Perhaps they were the only two fish in the pool....NOT.



We continued fishing the upper part of the pool. Are plan was to take a few more casts and move to another part of the river. Kirk tossed a Bomber to the spot near the fallen tree. That's when a brown rose and took the fly.


Kirk and his first fish of the evening.


We hopped into the truck, grabbed a cereal bar and some water and moved to a place downstream. When we arrived Kirk moved upstream and I went south. In the run that's pictured there were several trout rising. Try to get them to eat a whole different game. I left that side and moved to the other side. It's a slow moving pool, almost like a pond. I could see fish rising right along the bank. There was high grass falling into the water and casting was going to be tough.

I tied on a Bomber and worked the fly as best I could, trying to place it close to the rising fish. Several casts later and the trout rose and missed. Keep on casting I said to myself. Finally it paid off and this wild char came to hand. My excitement level went through the top.

You might say to yourself what's the big deal about a 3 inch brookie. Well this just reaffirms my thoughts on natural reproduction.\' "wild brook trout" in the Farmy.
Well many more casts of the Bomber brought up several more fish but none to hand. Until.


On a drift of the Bomber into the center of the pool, like I mentioned earlier it's almost like a pond. The fly almost stopped drifting when this fellow hit. I'm really liking what's going on in this river.


On this evening the hatches the Farmy is noted for never came off, at least while we were there. At times this river can put the best of anglers in their place.


CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE







29 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a good night!!!
    Great to see those Brookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1,
      Thanks.
      It was good Pete.
      I agree on the brookies.

      Delete
  2. Great report! That pool is one of my favorites and the Partridge and Orange has been knocking 'em dead up there the past few weeks. I got a small wild brookie there a couple of days ago (with Pete) and, couple weeks ago, a 14" brookie (!!) just a little ways upstream from there. Hope to run into you one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben B.,
      Thanks.
      That pool never lets me down. Part.& Orange is a fly I don't fish often, but when I do it usually works. A 14 inch brookie is a nice fish.
      I'm sure our paths will cross.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you guys have been doing very well up there as of late, nice job. Also nice to see the partridge and orange getting some love !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      Sometimes it works out. The P&O is a loveable fly.

      Delete
  4. Did I hear you guys ran into a bear last night ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      That was on the opposite side of the river, not us.

      Delete
  5. I hope you don't raise the price of my guided trip. ;-)
    Great job guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      John you'll get a discount, as long as you bring the Dunkin Donuts.

      Delete
  6. Char are such a stunning fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fishermanrichard,
      Thanks.
      They truly are beautiful.

      Delete
  7. Nothing like a chubby little Brookie to make your day.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really a lovely stream to fly fish! With both brook and brown trout in it. Who could ask for more? Very nice brook trout in the last picture. Nice to hear that the "North country spiders" are still working well. I'm about to tie some of them.
    Keep on having fun fly fishing,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jassid Man,
      Thanks.
      Yes those NC Spiders came through.
      A fine river for sure.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful fish. I am jealous. It just wasn't my day on the stream. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RKM,
      Thanks.
      It was better than having strange dogs barking at you.
      A good outing for both of us.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a nice outing Alan...I like the new cover photo at the top. Wish I had a chance to get out myself these last few days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      Thanks.
      It was enjoyable. Photo, Upper Dam pool, Maine.

      Delete
  11. Alan
    As you already know, changing patterns will get their attention, if only for a short time. I like you would keep fishing this river, not only for the brooks, but for the shear beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Changing patterns, so very true. It's a wonderful place to spend an evening.

      Delete
  12. Nice looking piece of water, beautiful fish, what more could you ask for? Always nice to see native Brookies holding their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Thanks.
      I myself could not ask for more.
      They are truly survivors. With all the hell they have been put through they still hang in there.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      If he was taken in Mooselookmeguntic Lake I'd say he had a few smelt in him. But in the Farmy he has probably got a frog or some hellgramites in him.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful brookies! Yes, that last one is a football. Fattest brook I've ever seen. The Farmy is a beautiful river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Yaussy Albright,
      Thanks.
      He sure looks like a football. It's a fine river.

      Delete
  15. Geez!!! Beautiful brookies and great photos from the trip out. Thouroughly enjoyed. Now about this bomber of a fly... I wonder if it could help me with my "work in progress" of trying to catch more on the top. Those trout keep taking the dropper!! Haha.

    ReplyDelete