Monday, November 12, 2012

November 11, 2012

With yesterdays wonderful weather we decided to fish for a few hours. The morning was a bit cloudy giving a not so pretty tone to the colorless November woods. It was not long before the sun broke out and seem to brighten the woods. The stream was at a flow that is normal for this late in the year, and the clarity of the water was as if it were not present.

The stream is always changing. New blow downs, woody debris, and leaf jams make for a new challenge every time I fish it.

In this photo you can see the large log, which was not there the last time I fished here. As the stream flowed to the left and turned swiftly along the log the area just under the log created a place to hide a few brook trout. As my fly drifted along the log a flash appeared and was gone before I could hookup. Having this happen, a strike from this little fellow all ready made my day a success.


It was not long before I was given the pleasure to hold one of these wonderful creations. It's apparent that the business of laying the foundation of the next generation has been completed, and the feeding is taking place for the winter which lies in the wings.


What makes me feel good about walking along the stream is seeing so many small brookies, one and two inch fish darting about this healthy environment.

This guy was an interesting catch. I was fishing a pool with a hooked current. It flowed by a large rock and then flattened out. As the fly floated through and then stopped, there was no interest paid to it. Just as I started to retrieve it a fish came out of nowhere and hit the fly. I was not able to hook the fish.  As I was leaving, fishing a few spots along the way out I fished that pool where the trout was that I had missed. Fishing it the exact same way as before, this time I had a hookup and a wonderful wild one was at hand.

"Thanks"



CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

19 comments:

  1. As we transition to winter, days like that are gifts. Remember to wear your hunter's orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tenkara ambassador,
      Thanks.
      Yes my friend, they truly are gifts.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful day to be on the water. You did well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just spent the last five days playing veterinary assistant with my wife taking care of our sick horse from sunup til sundown...that looks like the kind of break I could use about now.
    May be awhile before I can get back out so keep those reports coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher,
      Thanks.
      Wow sounds like a big job. Hope he gets well soon.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping the "laying of the foundation" will be wrapped up by the time I get down to the Pa mountains this weekend and the creeks see some much needed water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,
      Thanks.
      I think the task has just about come to an end. I hope your trip is a great one.

      Delete
  5. Good Stuff Al!!! Great way to spend the day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1,
      Thanks.
      Pete it was a good day for sure. I see your day turned out well.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan!

    I really like the last photo of the stream. It really looks untouched of greedy human hands and seems perfect for wild trout. Thanks for sharing this day of yours with us!

    Your friend,
    Mats Olsson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jassid Man,
      Thanks.
      Only two anglers and a walker or three.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    That's what makes fishing small streams so interesting, they are always changing. I have missed reading you great post. I am now back after over a month of working on family ancestery. I even missed the great looking header image you have added!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Glad to have you back. Those small gems do change often.

      Delete
  8. Agree with Bill Trussell, fishing small streams are a wonder! Like how you describe that the changes are constant with the season. Alan, appreciate how willing you are to share your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel Moore,
      Thanks.
      Sometimes the changes are so subtle it's hard to notice them at first.
      I do enjoy sharing them.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic blog, been reading in the background for sometime so I joined up lately and thanks for the reciprocation. I love streamers, and have been a huge fan of the design and history behind the Carrie Stevens style of streamers, in fact, I even own a couple of books from her personal library. I think in the coming months you may see me tie and post some of these beauties like yourself. Top shelf, and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Richard Strolis,
    Thanks.
    Welcome.
    Carrie was quite a tyer. As you well know her patterns are just as productive today as they were in her day. It's good to see an innovative tyer such as yourself take an interest in those wonderful featherwing flies of years past.
    I'm looking forward to see some of your long feathered flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make my yearly pilgrimage north, and fish the very waters that some of her patterns were created and fished upon. Love it. I will most definitely be sharing some photos with you in the months to come. Until then, may your hooks hold fast and your points be forever sharp!

      Delete