Thursday, August 1, 2013

"Grizzly Orange" and "Doc Spratley"

"Grizzly Orange"
This is the second of a series of grizzly streamers. This one uses orange grizzly in the wing. I think it will be a good attractor pattern.

Hook, Mustad 94720...Tail, Mallard Dyed Orange...Body, Black Floss...Rib, Flat Silver Tinsel...Throat, White, Red Hackle...Wing, 2 Orange, 2 Orange Grizzly Saddle Hackles...Shoulder, Jungle Cock Feather...Cheeks, Jungle Cock Nail.

"Grizzly Orange"


This is a fly that popped up on a forum I visited. It's called "Doc Spratley". It's a western fly created in 1949 in the state of Washington. The original pattern calls for wool as the body material, I used brown dubbing. I also tied one using black dubbing.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I don't know if the Grizzly Orange is ever used out west, but I think it would be fun if nothing else but a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard,
      Thanks.
      How about the Doc Spratley. Have you ever fished it?

      Delete
    2. Alan, it looks like a fly that I tie, but I don't remember what it is called. Perhaps that's what it is. Buggy isn't it.

      Delete
  2. I like that last image...nice and buggy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      Thanks.
      I liked it from first sight.
      Going to give them a try out today.

      Delete
  3. Nice tie Alan, looks like it would be a good Alantic Salmon fly! but I really love the header photo, makes me want to grab my boots and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      I will use it this Sept. on landlocks.
      A pretty little stream for sure.

      Delete
  4. Orange is one of my favorite colors, I love this streamer. I've never heard of the Doc Spratley fly looks as if it would do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,
      Thanks.
      Orange is a color that blends well. I think Doc will get some work soon.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that first one is a sexy looking fly and the second is just fishy, I bet both are killer patterns. Let us know how well they work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atlas,
      Thanks.
      I'll be sure to post the results.
      Both will be put into use soon.

      Delete
  6. Doc Spratley looks like the west coast cousin of the Picket Pin. I'll test some out in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      You be careful up there. Maine can become highly addictive.

      Delete
  7. Wow Beautiful Streamer! I wonder if a Smallie would chase those down! Very Nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly Waters Edge,
      Thanks.
      I'm pretty sure they would.

      Delete
  8. Great autumn looking patterns there Brk Trt..

    ReplyDelete