Thursday, April 10, 2014

CFFA Fly Tyers Gathering

Last evening I had the pleasure of tying at the annual Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association fly tyers roundtable. The event is held in East Hartford at the clubs meeting location. The evening started with a dinner provided by the CFFA to all who tied at the event. Then it was down to business of tying and meeting. There were many people in attendance. People I had the pleasure of finally meeting, after years of talking to on various forums as well as fellow bloggers, some of which made the trip from as far a Greenfield, Massachusetts. There were also some old buddies, those I have fished with and those who I will fish with.

There were tyers crafting flies for salt water, fresh water, and salmon flies. And I believe everyone found something to their liking.

I would like to thank the members of the CFFA for putting this function on and bringing fly tying to so many who attended. And thanks to all those who stopped by my table to watch me tie and talk for a spell. I appreciate it.






These are a couple of patterns I tied at last nights function.




CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

26 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time! I really like that little bit of peacock that you put behind the hackle on the first fly, subtle but I'm sure its effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Thomas,
      Thanks.
      Sometimes all it takes is that subtle sparkle to make a fish strike.

      Delete
  2. Bummed I missed it. Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      That is was John. Sorry you could not make it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alan, it was great to finally meet you last night. I wish I was able to get there early enough to enjoy dinner with you guys. Hope to meet again soon, preferably on the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben B.
      Thanks.
      It was good to meet you too. As far as the water gos, I'm sure that will happen soon.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful bug's Alan! Looks like a really fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice gathering you had! I guess you all got some inspiration from eachother. I little too far for me to attend though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jassid Man,
      Thanks.
      A bit far Mats. You never stop learning when it comes to fly tying.

      Delete
  6. Alan...

    I really enjoyed last-night's tying emposium.....it was a delight to finally meet you and to have the privilege of you to sign a copy of your book "thin blue lines"...

    it was also good to see pete there...(trout1)....and I also saw steve coulton as well....all-in-all.....it was definitely well worth the trip down there !!!

    keep up the great work you are doing and thank you....alan

    Best regards..
    Dave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flyfisher1000,
      Thanks.
      I'm glad you were able to make it, and I enjoyed meeting you Dave.

      Delete
  7. It was a very interesting and educational forum Al. Glad I was able to attend !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan - too bad I had another responsibility. I see a familiar face or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      There were a few familiar faces. It was a good time.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a wonderful event. what kind of hackle did you use on the flies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woe is me.............................. Live way too far away, but, was there in heart and soul. Love these kind of "homey" tying shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel(Pond Stalker)
      Thanks.
      I would have to agree with you Mel.

      Delete
  11. I especially like the first fly. Great proportions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ssj,
      Thanks.
      It fished well today, so the trout like it also.

      Delete
  12. Ignorant question, but are you the old dude in the first picture? As usual, some beautiful flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett,
      Thanks.
      No it's not me. I was the one taking photos.

      Delete
  13. Alan
    As I say before I wish I could have attended, and watch some professionals tie some outstanding flies. Our club sponsors two events each year and I am always there to meet fly fishing buddies and share a story or two. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      They are nice gatherings. You will always pick up a few new tips.

      Delete