Thursday, October 30, 2014

Seeking a Native

What motivates an angler to to seek a certain fish, not just today but almost every time he has such opportunity. I'm going to try and give you some of my thoughts on just what motivates me. Many of the reasons can be seen in the photo above. A still, late October morning while the forest is just coming to life. The stream as it continues its flow to the eventual meeting with the sea. A broken down rock wall, made by past generations to perhaps keep someone or something out, or maybe to keep them in. The colors of a tree, its foliage hanging on giving the anglers mind a chance to take it all in before its gone.

Many claim that seeking the wild brook trout that call this home is done so because of the willingness of this native to take any offering put forth. This may be true and the reason for this might be because he has learned that to survive for thousands of years in some of the most infertile waters he has to eat most everything that may float by.

What excites an angler when his quarry is so small? What is derived from sliding your hand into the water and lifting a palm sized collection of dots, and halos, and lines of camouflage? To slip a tiny hook adorned with simple materials of feather and hair from the native. To admire for a moment its absolute beauty and place it back into the dark swirling waters of its home.

That's some what motivates me to seek this native. My next brook trout will be just as exciting to me as my first. It never ends and I never tire.



22 comments:

  1. Well said Alan - it's good to be outside and to have all the senses alive (sound, site, smell, touch); to be reminded that life goes on despite our personal problems and issues; that life isn't all about me but that I am part of a larger reality that transcends me; that life isn't always about the newest thing but there is beauty and pleasure in simplicity. Those are some of the reason why I fish small streams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put. Kind of poetic. In most cases out here, the wild trout is all that is in the stream and the chasing is the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz,
      Thanks.
      Mark "poetic", your going to get me in trouble.
      Your so very right about the chasing.

      Delete
  3. This is probably the best post you have made so far. I completely agree that brook trout fishing is as much about the surroundings as the fish themselves. Even when the bite is weak, simply being at these beautiful streams is enough for me. The beauty of the brookies seems to parallel its surroundings and is simply the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout,
      Thanks.
      I don't believe your comment can be topped. But we all will agree with what you stated.

      Delete
  4. Great post. Very envious. Those brookies really are the most fantastic looking fish I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toodle,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate it. The comment on the brookies is mine and others shared.

      Delete
  5. Very well said Alan. Very, very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done well describing what I never thought could be done in words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle,
      Thanks.
      I tried and it worked out well.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this post, Alan. Glad to read your thoughts on this timeless tradition. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Curry,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate your comments Mike.

      Delete
  8. Beauty and Simplicity in the palm of your hand. Wild Brookies are so much fun. I do believe the surroundings set the perimeters for beauty and simplicity..............................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel Moore,
      Thanks.
      Mel works of art indeed. The natural places where they are found truly enhance the experience.

      Delete
  9. One of my favorite posts yet.....well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      Chris I"m glad you found it enjoyable.

      Delete
  10. Love it, well summed up Alan! Ah it's been too long for me. You posts inspire me to revisit some of my streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LQN,
      Thanks.
      Long, get out this weekend. Don't forget to bring a thermos of hot coffee it's going to get cold.

      Delete
  11. Well said. Beautiful spot in that photo.

    ReplyDelete