Friday, November 28, 2014

A Solution

I had purchased some beads to use in tying soft hackle flies. The beads were both tungsten and the other were regular brass. The issue was they were both gold in color. As we know tungsten is much heavier than brass and will sink a fly rapidly and bounce it on the bottom. This effect is perfect in some instances but not very useful on those small streams where the water levels are not very deep.

Last week while fishing I opened the fly box and was attempting to select one of these soft hackles with the brass bead, well I could not determine which was which. Not Good.......... So I came up with a solution. I would tie the tungsten bead heads using a bright orange collar, and the brass bead heads using whatever tying thread color I would be using. I do have some new tungsten beads on order in black so further identification will be easier.


Tungsten Bead Heads


Brass Bead Heads



14 comments:

  1. Great solution to your problem because tungsten beads are impossible to use on small streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RI brook trout,
      Thanks.
      They are fast sinkers for sure. There are times of high water when I might try one.

      Delete
  2. Definitely, a solid solution. I will keep this in mind once I start tying trout flies, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin Carfagnini,
      Thanks.
      Justin that blaze orange hot spot may also be a attractant.

      Delete
  3. I employ that same technique Alan , it works nicely as long as I don't forget to switch thread colors while tying. Most of my waters are substantially bigger than yours and I find myself utilizing the tungsten on almost everything I tie these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher,
      Thanks.
      Jeff I've seen some of the rivers you fish and tungsten is the way to go

      Delete
  4. Great idea for a common problem. I find the same problem with flies ties with wound on weight and unweighted, so this is a good solution for that as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent solution Obi Won. Sorry, in a slight Star Wars mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz,
      Thanks.
      Star Wars....another episode coming.

      Delete
  6. Tungsten does sink like a rock and casting them takes a little something away from the art of casting. Very effective, however. More like a "lob" it in and get it down........................................

    Getting them color coordinated bead wise is a really good idea.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel Moore,
      Thanks.
      Mel, as you say there is no beauty in casting those heavy flies and lobbing them is a good term.

      Delete
  7. BT,
    Can you give me the materials list for those flys? really like them.
    Thanks,
    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cphaneuf,
      Thanks.
      Cliff the materials are....
      Hooks, TMC 3761, TMC 2488, in sizes 14-16
      Tail, Brown Hackle
      Body, Hares Mask, I use olive and yellow.
      Rib, Fine Copper Wire. you can use it or not. I sometimes omit it.
      Thorax, Peacock
      Hackle, Starling.
      Beads, gold tungsten, or brass.

      Delete