Thursday, June 4, 2015

"Crowningshield" a Hair Wing Dry Fly

This is a hair wing dry fly that I put together last week. It's materials are few and the construction is not to difficult. When I chose the materials I selected several that have proven their value in attracting trout and the durability of repeated strikes. Several of the materials have Fran Betters approval for they are incorporated in many of his patterns.

After several flies were tied I bounced them of the desk, and floors to see how they would land, and they all hit in a upright position. Sometimes getting the right proportion of wing, body and tail can be difficult, but these seemed to fit just right.

Here is a list of materials....Hook, Mustad 94840...Tail, Woodchuck....Body, Australian Opossum....Wing, Elk Hair....Hackle, Brown....Thread, I have used both red and purple.

"Crowningshield"
I have field tested this fly and I can tell you it works. I'll post a report on that outing later. I plan on tying these in size 14-16 and perhaps size 12.

Now for the name. Crowningshield is the name of the property that I had the pleasure of fishing a few weeks back. The beauty of the land as well as the streams that flow through it were so beautiful and pristine that they inspired me to create this fly  as a tribute. Fitting that the first fish taken on "Crowningshield"  was a wild brook trout






14 comments:

  1. Should float like a cork with the woodchuck tail and the elk hair wing. I think Fran would approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      It floats well, and thank you Fran.

      Delete
  2. That's a sweet little fly. Something about that rusty orange body... Trout love it. I do a similar fly with white calf tail for tail and wings - otherwise, very similar (orange thread though :)) and the wild fish love it! I'm going to do some of your new fly next time at the vice - it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation,
      Thanks.
      Will, the combination of materials, especially the orange body does indeed attract fish. The body when wet has a nice effect also. I would like to see a couple of you ties, and would love a report when you fish them.

      Delete
  3. I like it. It would work wonderfully out here on small streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz,
      Thanks.
      Mark it has that "fish will eat it" quality, and should work on most streams.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. TexWisGirl,
      Thanks.
      Theresa never quite heard them referred as such. But when you stop and think about it.....well

      Delete
  5. You have got some beauties there Al!! very nice ties!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI,
      Thanks.
      Pete I'll have to put a few in your fly box and have you put them to a test.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    No floatant needed for this super fly, just a few false cast will keep this fly a float for a fantastic outing. Great work at the vise!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Bill you could almost get away without using it. It's a good fly buddy.

      Delete
  7. Alan, this is a beautiful looking fly. I like the light deer-hair for the wing, even just for my own eyes to see it. I will try some with purple thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Klags,
      Thanks.
      Adam the fly is awesome. You'll do very well with them in those gems you fish.

      Delete