Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Take A Walk With Me...an invite to fish a small stream.

Well folks finish up that last cup of morning coffee and take a few hours with me for a walk along a small stream. I enjoy having you along but there are a few requirements I ask of you, only a few. Leave your devices back at the car. Bring some water, a camera if you like. Insect repellent would be nice. Leave that old fishing vest home, a simple assortment of flies is all that's needed. No waders required,a nice pair of hiking boots will do nicely, and let's not forget a 5' 9" GCR 3wt. On this day we find the sun shinning brightly, the wind is almost non existent and air temps are comfortable. As we walk through the laurel thickets we see how the Spring woods are alive with that beautiful green color. Birds seem to chirp as if to welcome us, they know we mean no harm and we are here to enjoy and not to destroy.



In short time we come upon the water, it is flowing nicely and it says it's going to be a good day. It is here that we encounter are first mishap...a slip on the moss covered rocks send a foot deep into the streams cold waters. Oh well on we move.


We come upon a beautiful pool...a little water fall drops lots of of water causing a perfect hold for the brook trout. It is hear where we cast our first fly of the day. As the little ant pattern swirls just beyond the white water a rise is spotted, and hookup and our first brookie is at hand.


A handsome fellow with a lot of fight. He is put back into his watery home and as always a "Thank You" is given.


Moving through the woods we encounter what looks like a mess of downed trees and storm debris. But there is a nice pool above and below this jam. Placing the fly won't be easy but this is small stream angling. I'll let you guess what pool I fished..upper or lower.


After several casts and one hang-up that I was lucky to retrieve I coaxed this nice dark colored brookie to take the fly. He did not come to hand easily. He knew just where to go when in trouble.


As we move along the stream we encounter several areas where we need the aid of objects to help us along...be careful where you put you hands. They're pretty, but better left alone.


The sun is getting higher and the trout very wary. Now is the time to use any shade to our advantage. A shady spot alongside of a rock will bring a rise.


This is the result of using the shade to your advantage.


We stop here for a drink of water. Looking at the surface of the stream for a rise.


Another companion stops by as we rest and drink. In the dry leaves this guy has perfect camo.


I hope you are enjoying the scenery. We move further up the stream.


Another brookie who was found in the shadows.


What a peaceful place. Some would say that's to small of a pool to hold a trout.


But we try anyway....and look what we have found.


Again we stop for a water break..hydration is so important. As we scope this rather large pool we can see a few light colored mayflies about. Further observation shows that the trout have no interest. The pool must be tried anyway.


In several casts the pool gave up not a hint of what was in it, but we knew better. A swirl came and a dark image went down...the fly with it. The fish was on and I could not believe the weight of it. You must be careful in small places for it is easy to loose such a fish. After what seemed like a long time I was able to slide my hand under the brook trout. This was a large fish for this stream. I was lucky to get the photo for after it he was gone.

We now decide it's time to hike back and to reflect on our few hours on a wild brook trout stream. We walk out slowly taking in more of the sights and sounds of the natural world.

Back at the cars we enjoy a light lunch. Time is taken to say thank you. I hope you enjoyed coming along with me.



22 comments:

  1. Just outstanding Brk Trt!!! Beauties those brookies are and your written descriptions of your adventure makes one feel he was right along with you!! Good Stuff Brk Trt!!! Two Thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI
      Thanks
      Pete hopefully everyone who reads the post will agree.
      Two thumbs up...pretty high rating, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    This post describing each section of the stream you were fishing made me think I was walking right along with you. Those were some quality brook trout you were landing, were all taken on ant pattern? Great post, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill seems like your in agreement with Pete.
      Almost all were taken on the ant..I had a few take a size 14 Griffith's Gnat.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the invite to join you on this awesome day on the stream. I felt like I was there along side. That last trout is awesome for a stream of this size. Wow!

    Best Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam I'm glad you could come along. He was a bit of a surprise.

      Delete
  4. I don't think you could have written a better photo essay of a classic wild brook trout stream. I enjoyed every step of the way. After the day I had at work I really enjoyed the trip. Thanks ,Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad I'm glad this little walk helped to make your evening better than your day.

      Delete
  5. Alan,
    This post is just amazing! Not only does the scenery bowl me over, but the size of the brookies (large) for the size of the waters (relatively small). This is just amazing and I simply cannot get enough of this! Please take more walks through this beautiful country and please don't mind if 15 or 20 of us tag along! We will be quiet, I promise!
    Stunning Alan and your work in putting this together is greatly appreciated!
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug I especially knew you would enjoy the outing. The area is somewhat different then Ohio... and the quest for wild brookies is a pleasure I enjoy and now you have experienced it also.

      Delete
  6. Well, I had to travel a long way to get there, but, am I happy I made the trip. What a joy it was to be able to watch a Master at work in the world he loves. Those were some beautiful Brookies, and, I could look at that big one again and again. Amazing post, Alan.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Mel
      Thanks
      Mel I would say you did...flew in, fished and flew home. Next time your here you must stop in for dinner, and a bit of fly tying.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the invitation and the fine fishing. I send you an invitation to fish the little creek that runs at the end of my garden. It's less than 25 yards from my back door. You'll only need a similar rod and a few flies. Sometimes, life can be good.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Hynes
      Thanks
      Steve a creek just 25 yards from home, wow you are blessed. Yes my friend "life is good"

      Delete
  8. That's what it is all about! Nicely put

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark you are well aware friend.

      Delete
  9. Very well done Alan and thank you for having us along. The beauty is beyond words and the fishing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard this is the nearest thing to having you here.

      Delete
  10. Nicely done! It makes me want to get out to one of the small steams near here, but they're all running muddy. At least I had a trip with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim Kidder
      Thanks
      Tim I hope the waters clear soon. It's a nice experience.

      Delete
  11. Looks like a productive day. Brook trout are so gorgeous, amazing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben Mckinley
      Thanks
      Ben it was a fine day, glad you were able to come along. Brook trout are hard to rival.

      Delete