Saturday, May 27, 2017

Spiders, Gingerbread And Something In Between

The Partridge and Blue, a common spider pattern that can be found in most fly shops...good luck on that quest. I came upon this fly in the book The North Country Fly. Checking further I found this out...James Blades said of this fly, It is a good fly from mid April to mid June. It is fished over fine sand where the natural insect it represents lives. The pattern is listed in Francis Walbran list of 1888.

Again simplicity is key...Body, Blue Silk Thread...Dubbing, Natural Mole Very Sparse...Partridge Hackle.


The fly has been productive when fished over sandy bottoms on several streams I've fished.


Several of the small streams I fished have gone under a bit of a remodel. The old obsolete culverts have been replaced by more fish friendly ones. On this stream I just know it's going to be beneficial to those brook trout down stream.They now will be able to access a great deal of prime upstream habitat.


Now I just have to fish this stream. The last time I was here was in late August, and it did not look like it does now.


In keeping with the theme simplicity, how about some Gingerbread.


A sprinkle of powdered sugar,maybe a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or perhaps some whipped cream....or as I like it, plain with a cup of coffee.









12 comments:

  1. Hi Alan, I'm a huge fan of soft hackles and have tied them for years. Is that an authentic hook? I use Asian knockoffs but sometimes I get the urge to go totally authentic regardless of cost. I love gingerbread with softened cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John it's a Partridge Spider Hook L3AS..it's an British Company but the hook is probably made in Japan.
      Cream cheese would work for me.

      Delete
  2. Im sure you have Yorkshire blood running through your veins. Nice again Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      Perhaps I should have my ancestry checked.
      George these flies are a joy to tie, and they catch fish.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    Another simple yet effective soft hackle. Just beautiful.
    I'll take my Gingerbread warm, with some vanilla ice cream!! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete the simplicity is key to making the fly so effective.
      I like the ice cream add on.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark buddy I knew you would love it, we went to the same school.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    A fly tied so simple but yet so deadly---love ginger bread--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill that's the beauty of these old patterns. I would like to tie other patterns but some of the materials can't be found or are now protected.

      Delete
  6. Honestly, who doesn't like spiders and gingerbread? I used your bomber Alan, and even though I didn't catch a fish I think under better conditions the brookies up there would love it. Unfortunately I lost it. The good news is it got me tying again and I'll try some spiders as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard a lost fly in the effort to catch a fish is something we all have done...I consider it a victory.
      You were out fishing,that's the main thing.

      Delete