Saturday, June 24, 2017

Natives, And A Classic

"Natives"..not brook trout but those fine vegetables and fruits that are local. I am very lucky to have two very good farms within a couple of miles of home. One of the farms I visited the other day has lots of native produce on sale right now. I saw these beautiful yellow summer squash and picked up a few. This can be steamed or sliced and baked with seasoned bread crumbs. I got to talking with the owner and was told that the native sweet corn would be available around July forth. Corn is one of my favorite summer veggies.



"Got Sausage"....if not make some. I had some country style pork ribs in the fridge. I took them out and removed the bone. Then took a knife and cut them into the desired size. There is no need to grind the meat especially for this amount. Then some simple seasonings, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and a drop or two of wine. Fennel seed can be also added, some like it and others find it undesirable for various reasons.


Get yourself a handful and form patties. Grill them crispy in some spots for that distinctive flavor and texture.


When done serve along side a hot pepper and a salad and "wow"...they are also great for breakfast.


A New England Classic
"Moxie" if you have not tried this drink please do. It is a favorite of mine.









14 comments:

  1. Alan, I look forward to seeing your post each morning. I enjoy how you mix food with fishing, two of my favorites. Summer squash and zucchini are great cooked on the grill together as well. Hope you're enjoying summer. MaineFly207

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Chris I'm glad to hear of enjoyment of my blog posts. I have grilled zucchini but never the yellow, must try it.
      Summer is going well so far, and I do hope yours is as well.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alan. summer squash, native, such a treat. We like them sauteed, in real butter with lots of onion, served with a sprinkling of parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John ole buddy "real" butter is a must. Now I have onion to try with summer squash.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    Another culinary delight! I steam them, put butter and sprinkle parmesan cheese on them. Delish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete you and John both use parmesan on the squash, I must try that too.
      What the heck everything's better with cheese.

      Delete
  4. Alan, a family friend sends us a big box of Vidalia onions every year. If you haven't ever tried them, they are wonderful grilled with all your other favorite veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Love Vidalia onions...the best French onion soup is made with them.
      Grilled onions with mushrooms are to live for.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    We don't have the Moxie down this way, does it have a cola taste? Cathey and I could actually eat nothing but veggies, but we do add different meats at times. Everything look delicious. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the taste is very unique. I love it. Some claim it has medicinal properties.
      Fresh, native in season, there's not much better.

      Delete
  6. My love of sausage and hot peppers makes this a drool inducer. Time to make trip to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle
      Thanks
      Rowan that heat is so good. I think I'll grill some for supper tonight.

      Delete
  7. We usually roast or micro wave the small button squash by slicing off their tops, putting a decent dollop of butter with salt and pepper on top then replacing their "hats".
    Sausages, "bangers" or "snags" as we often call them here in OZ are a great winter food. Add bacon, eggs and the aforementioned squash--life can be pretty good!
    Finally over that cold--it hit me hard for over a week. As a result I didn't get out on the stream for the last weekend of the season. There's always next season. I'll be concentrating on fishing still waters until September as well as tagging along in spirit on your fishing trips.
    Kindest Regards,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Hynes
      Thanks
      Steve your squash recipe sound delicious. I'm a fan of bangers and mash, so is the rest of the family.
      Your always welcome to join me on a stream.

      Delete