Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Dark Brook Trout And Unexpected Company

Sunday morning plans were to fish the Farmington and that's what I did. I got to the river kind of late but was still the only angler in the runs I planned to fish. Stepping into the river I looked for rising fish and I observed one solitary fish working a spot close to the bank. A dry fly was cast and he rose, but being slow I did not set the hook. Keeping it short, I fished the next hour in a bit of a strong breeze and had issues trying to work the fly on the little 5foot 2weight. Frustration was setting in and I decided I would soon leave. Well you know what happened, breeze subsided and I hooked my first fish and managed to bring it to hand.



That was the only fish I would have on this Farmington outing. Farmington brookies are strong fighters but they lack that great color of small stream brook trout. I walked back to the car and drove to a small stream that's pretty close...I felt at home.


What a beautiful stream...dark water, and dark brookies.


These special native char are the absolute epitome of tannin waters. These guys were hunkered down in the rocks but shot right up for the dry/wet fly.


These flowers lined the stream, so pleasing.


In this little run I hooked several wild jewels.


While fishing my eye caught some movement in the woods. My first thought was that it was a deer....not.


This fellow wandered close to the stream, then stopped. I was ready to vacate when he stopped and looked at me. A few seconds and he turned and started to walk back into the woods. I got the camera out of my pack, trying to focus and get a photo but the bear kept walking. I did manage a couple of photos, this one was the best. I estimate him to be 150 to 200 lbs. Friends parted, both of us happy.











24 comments:

  1. Alan
    Have to admit your Framington post are some of my favorites to read; but if I had a choice to fish the Farmington or those small streams, I would choose those small streams you fish!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I'm with you on the choice of fishing the small stream. Much more of a home feeling.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    WOW! What a difference in the colors on the Farmy brookie and the small stream brook trout. That second picture the red spots are very vivid against that dark body. Seeing the bear although a bit scary was an added treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete the difference is really noticeable. I don't know why the Farmy brookies are not as brilliant.

      Delete
  3. Alan, it is indeed amazing the difference in coloration in the brook trout from the big river to the small dark stream. That is a beautiful brookie from the Farmy, but the first brook trout pictured from the small stream is just unreal.

    I am glad the bear you encountered high tailed it out. As I discovered last Saturday when Bev and I took a drive, that part of Connecticut is rural and beautiful.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam that is one of four streams I fish that have these dark brookies. They really look awesome in the fall.
      CT. has some pretty areas, and the wildlife to go along with it.

      Delete
  4. Bear butt! Always better than bear tooth and claw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle
      Thanks
      Rowan, great way of putting it. The encounters I have with them have gone well.

      Delete
  5. Wow Alan............... A bear!!!!!!
    The nearest to anything like that I have got was at the weekend when I was out with my eldest son on the local stream and we came across a badger (no bears in Yorkshire since the c1000AD!).
    That Farmington Brookie is nice enough, but the second one pictured is something else!
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair bears have made a strong comeback in our small state. A badger is a tough critter with a bad disposition.
      I love those dark brookies.

      Delete
  6. Photos, narrative, travelogue, motivation, what a pleasing way to start my day. Oh, and brook trout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill/Tully
      Thanks
      Bill, I love putting a smile on folks faces. The brook trout love it too.

      Delete
  7. Alan - I always love seeing those Farmington brook trout! I was out Sunday afternoon and caught one as I started. Watch out for those bears, I saw one a couple weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark it's awesome that the Farmington has such a good population of wild brookies, but like their brethren in that river they can become very selective.
      Nice to see a bear once and awhile.

      Delete
  8. Bear looked healthy. Nice black coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark he had some awesome shoulders. And the fellow was in what looked to be prime condition.

      Delete
  9. What is it about small streams that !any of us find so appealing? Something elemental in the intimacy of narrow water enclosed by a profusion of streamside vegetation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christopher Seep
      Thanks
      Christopher you named two of the reasons for fishing small streams. It's a comforting feeling in these day's of "big" water and "big" fish to be able to step back into a place where all that matters is what's in the next pool and if it hold nothing you still had a good day.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful fish, Alan. Is that the first bear you've run into? Always a fear up mine fishing the Kennebago. I'll be fishing a small river you have wrote about in the past tomorrow and this weekend. Life is good, hope all is well.

    Chris MaineFly207

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Chris the wife and I have encountered bears while fishing the Kennebago, once while picking berries, and the other time while fishing just below Little Kennebago lake.
      I envy you being able to fish that small river, do have a good time. And let us know how you did.

      Delete
  11. Alan, I would still be cleaning myself up after seeing your bear. We've had them in some of our local cities lately. I love bears but reserve personal meetings to Yogi and Boo Boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard the times I have encountered bears have been on good terms, but I do respect them and know what they are capable of. Yogi and Boo Boo oh they are the good guys.

      Delete
  12. What to do if a bear attacks you? my god..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando there's not much you can do. Running is out of the question, so I guess I'd do a lot of yelling to try to get the bear to change it's mind.

      Delete