Friday, May 25, 2018

Red Brook...Spring 2018

Jeanette and I just spent a couple of days roaming one of our most favorite places. One must keep in mind that such a place has more to offer than can be told in this post. The first morning when our eyes gazed the old cottage by the bay our minds felt a feeling that we never tire of. The walk down the path that is covered with pine needles thus making sure our feet are comforted and this early preparation setting us up for what would be a walk of life.



Looking across the marsh and seeing the brook quietly flowing. Stopping for a spell and listening to the red-winged black birds distinct call. The air was cool and even with a shirt on I could feel a chill.


The area has so much to offer. We observed so much of what nature brings forth at this time of year. Beauty that may be unique to Red Brook. There's so much more than fishing....


Where I first stepped into the chilly waters of Red Brook. The flow was quiet but swift. There are few casts made here but more of a slight toss and then "let it drift"...a fish may strike at almost any point, but most take when a fast retrieve is made.


A wild brook trout. They are beautiful beyond words. One might say they are just like the brookies we fish for but the are a special creature and one that is unique to this stream. I had an encounter with Steve Hurley a biologist for Mass. Fish and Wildlife. He told me that they surveyed Red Brook on Monday and Tuesday and they found brook trout throughout the Red Brook. He also told me that a great deal of young of the year fish were observed and that holds well for the future of these special char.


You may recall a post I did on two special kids from Falmouth. They had a outing at Red Brook that will remain with them for life..."Red Brook has that effect on those that spend tine there"... Well Sophie tied a fly for me exactly like the one she tied for her brother Nate. He then proceeded to use that fly to catch his first Red Brook "salter"..Well Sophie I used you fly and I will report that I hooked two brookies on it...thank you.


Sophie's "Pink Shrimp"...a fly that perhaps will go down as a "go to fly for salters"...


A tight place to navigate but.....


the work is well worth it. I can't say it enough how great is the feeling to catch of of these brook trout. They are fish that have a tenacity that no other char has. They have lots of help in their quest to keep their numbers strong, the Sea-Run Brook Trout Coalition, Trout Unlimited, Mass Fish and Wildlife, The Trustees of Reservations and I'm sure there are a few more that I'm not aware of....thanks to all.




To be able to fish for a iconic New England native in pristine waters is an experience that I find hard to duplicate. As we walked down the path to the bridge that leads to the parking area a sadness takes hold for a moment. We will come back to Red Brook again for there is no feeling like being near its waters.














31 comments:

  1. Alan, once again thanks for bringing us along. Wonderful pics and and it does look like a great place. Need to add it to my bucket. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph Long
      Thanks
      Ralph they are a special type of brook trout and a beautiful area.

      Delete
  2. We missed you, Alan, but what you brought back was well worth the wait. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill I wish you could see Red Brook in person and experience the thrill of catching a salter brook trout.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark it was my pleasure to do so.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing beautiful experience, it is always sad to come back when we leave wonderful places. a hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando it is tough to leave such a place, thankfully it's close enough to visit again, which I will.

      Delete
  5. The perfect read with the breakfast coffee. Delighted that you enjoyed it, but why wouldn't you enjoy an environment like that. One day. One day. have a good one, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John such days as those spent at Red Brook will remain special. Looking to return.

      Delete
  6. Alan,
    Such a beautiful place and a wonderful watershed! We have known for sometime your affection for Red Brook and through your wonderful photos, we can see why!! How was the coffee and baked goods?
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug this visit was unique in that two flies "Sophie's Pink Shrimp" and "Salars Nemesis" made their debut, both admirably.
      Leo's had a blueberry muffin that's to die for and the coffee takes the front seat with it.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    Awesome and stunning photos of the area. What a gorgeous little stream to fish. Brookies are also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete the stream is an absolute gem. A great deal of people are making sure it stays like that.
      The brookies are also very accommodating.

      Delete
  8. Alan once again my friend stunning photography and a great day by the look of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      George all of the subjects could not have been nicer to me.

      Delete
  9. I can't thank you enough to taking me to places I've never been and most likely won't. Most enjoyable as usual Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard I enjoy bringing some of my ramblings. And hearing you enjoy those ramblings makes a lot of what I do worth while.

      Delete
  10. Good morning Alan,
    Another superb post once again.
    If I close my eyes, I can almost feel the tannin stained water flowing past my waders and the pull of the fly as it swings around the pool.
    I am sure one day it will become reality.........
    Thanks
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair it's a wonderful feeling you speak of.
      It also sounds as if you would like to visit.

      Delete
    2. Plans are afoot Alan
      Thanks
      Alistair

      Delete
    3. You have my email, please let me know...

      Delete
  11. Alan ~ How nice to see one of Doug's "Speckled Beauties" on your site! (below photo).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill that is actually one of several I caught one day while fishing for brookies...both in one day and the same stream. Post to come.
      Doug sends me some beautiful photos of those bluegills he takes.

      Delete
  12. Alan
    Absolute gorgeous area, not only for the fishing but for it's shear beauty. Another place on my bucket list, if not to fish but just visit. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill we often walk the property total just for the enjoyment. Lots of wildlife, birds and other critters.
      The stream and the brookies are a plus.

      Delete
  13. To Alan and Bill,
    How wonderful indeed to see that gorgeous Bluegill (Thanks Bill! Otherwise, it might have taken me a while to see it! You know how slow I am at these things!) and to know that it was taken from the same waters that harbor the greatest of the all, the brook trout! I can't wait to see your post Alan about the stream that has them both! Wow! I think I've died and gone to heaven! Thanks guys!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug there are a few streams that I've fished that hold both brookies and sunfish. They are not always together but once and awhile I get lucky.

      Delete
  14. Just beautiful, Alan. Thanks for taking us along on your special adventure. Props to Sophie on that great fly which connected on two brook trout.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam Red Brook is a beautiful place. I was impressed with Sophie's Pink Shrimp...I'm going to try it here and see how it's accepted.

      Delete
    2. Alan, I like your chances with that fly no matter where it is drifted.

      Delete