Thursday, June 21, 2018

"Womanchego"


A rare find, a special family farm located in eastern Connecticut that has a reputation of producing some of the finest cheeses that I have ever tasted. While I can't be considered a gourmet expert in the quality of cheese but I am a consumer who knows what a good cheese is. Jeanette and I stopped by Cato Corner Farm located in Colchester Ct and spent some time wandering the farm as well as getting a history lesson on the farms start as well as sampling some of it's "made on the farm" cheese.



Walking the farm roads you see many of the pastures in which the farms 45 plus cows are allowed to graze naturally.


This is Elizabeth MacAlister, she along with son Mark started the business back in the 90's. The basis is happy cows make for good milk which makes for some of the tastiest cheese.


Little guys, so curious.


The cheese shop. We were treated to some of the variety of cheese that were featured.


"Dan" he was our guide this day. He told us about all of the cheeses made on the farm. In talking to us we told him of our preferences in cheese and then gave us a sample to taste. I fell in love with two of the offerings which we took home with us. If you are ever in the area please stop by. Their hours of operation are on the sign, and they have a web site. The cheese is also available on line.


This is "Womanchego" in the kitchen of Casa Petrucci...I kid you not it is the best cheese I have ever tasted. Made from raw cows milk it's semi-soft texture with a very unique flavor is a delight. "Womanchego" was voted American Cheese Society best American Raw Cows Milk Cheese in 2017.












19 comments:

  1. As a small family farmer myself I really, really appreciate you taking the time to show off one of America's fast disappearing treasures: the family farm. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike first off thanks for doing what you do...we need you guys.
      This farm is doing pretty well, hope it can continue.

      Delete
  2. Artisan cheese, like good beer and bread made in a similar manner, is alchemy and a real luxury. I reckon it's why they go together so beautifully. We have quite a lot of makers like this in the UK and they are a pure joy. Go back and buy more! And some craft beer, or wine if you prefer, and bread. Hungry again but time to walk the terriers first! Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John I'm not a consumer of spirited beverages, but I'm sure this cheese would do a fine drink proud. Now a good bread, there's my weakness.
      Take care of those terriers.

      Delete
    2. Thanks For the reply, I just thought about the name this morning and the cheese must be very similar to Manchego from Spain. Really delicious. Bread. A real weakness of mine I baked sourdough yesterday before the promised really hot weather arrives. Have a great weekend. John
      PS It's Terrier walking time again, I'll post on the the two of them next week, the old man and the very much younger woman!

      Delete
    3. John, the cheese is very similar to Manchego, but Elizabeth thought she would put her touch to the name hence "Womanchego"
      The heat is on there and the faucet is off here.

      Delete
  3. I am glad to see that farm still prospering. So few left these days in New England. I will have to stop by there next time I am in the area, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam this farm is not to far from you, and it's close to the Salmon river.
      We must keep these farms going.

      Delete
    2. I agree, Alan. Must keep them going. If I had the money I would buy a farm with a trout stream running through it. That would be heaven to me.

      Delete
    3. Sam I'd love a farm with a trout stream, perhaps I could live on the one your going to buy.

      Delete
  4. Alan, I drive truck for a living and deliver in the south central pa. Area to the Maryland line. I deliver to small Amish farms on a regular basis. I truly love to see small farm America on display. I know I would love to visit a farm that specializes in cheese. Down my way it's yogurt. Great post, love the small farmers determination and life style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad that is a beautiful area of these United States. The wife and I have visited several times. I'm so impressed at what the Amish have accomplished with the simple things in life.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Wow, what a find, I love a good cheese, and the Womanchego is on my list to order. Those look like Jersey Cows, which is one reason this cheese is so good. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the farms herd are mostly Jersey cows. Rich milk.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a good Artisan cheese Alan.....
    I do enjoy a good chunk of cheese with nice bread (sour dough preferably)and a spicy chutney or, depending on style of cheese, a slice of apple pie or a rich dark fruit cake (for me good cheese and fine ales / wines rarely mix well)! Here in yorkshire (as well as some other regions of the UK) there have been a plethera of farm shops that have spung up over the last decade or so which have helped to preserve (or even bring back to life) old regional favourites.
    Enjoy!!!!
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair the taste of good cheese is such a pleasure. I prefer bread with cheese, and my wife likes crackers. A very long time ago I had a boss that told me there are only two ways to succeed in business, that is to be big or small. His words have proven themselves to be true many times.
      Is cheddar a regional favorite?

      Delete
    2. Alan
      Very mature cave aged cheddar is good, but my regional (Northeast England) favourites are Coquetdale, Cuddy's Cave and (best of all) Cotherstone.
      Alistair

      Delete
  7. Alan, you are a never ending source of interesting travels! Great post. Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthew Grobert
      Thanks
      Matt when in CT stop and check the farm out. I'm happy to bring to you some of the places I see, but you have to go there to taste the wonderful cheese.

      Delete