Saturday, August 18, 2018

"Moe's Pool"

I started fishing this stream around the turn of the century,that is 2001. In it's upper reaches what I call the forth bridge area. In this very quiet section was a small foot bridge and the stream flowed gently under it. A small pool was created by the bend in the streams natural flow. Wedged in the roots of a tree was a slate sign and on that sign was a printed quote, "Moe's Pool"...at first I never gave it much thought as to who Moe was although I figured it may have been a dog that someone walked frequently in the area. Two plus two and it came to me that this was a favorite spot for Moe to wade in the stream and cool off during his walk. Since that first time visiting Moe's Pool I have never missed the chance to fish it.



Moe's Pool as it is today. Being truthful it looked the same way back 15 plus years ago. Gentle flow in, a brief pool and again a gentle flow out. Now I will tell folks that I have never failed to connect with a brookie in this pool, not that I always caught a brookie but rather a brookie hit what I at the time offered. The brookies I have taken here have ran the color board from light to very dark. Most of the time they would strike at the place where the stream made it's turn. The sign is cracked and missing a piece. I'm thinking of making a new one and nailing it to the tree by the bridge. Moe thanks for the pool.



A "Moe's Pool" Jewel







20 comments:

  1. Nice story Alan. By all means replace the sign, perhaps adding a little sketch of a doggie face, as an embellishment. Reminds me of a sign someone nailed to a tree at Tobyhanna Crick PA that has stayed in my memory, all these years. Sign said "If you would catch more trout, you must kill less".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John I'll try to find out a bit more about Moe, without bringing to much attention to the stream.
      I have some fond memories of small wild trout streams in the Poconos...Pond Eddy creek comes to mind. Maybe this fall I'll take a walk up it.

      Delete
  2. Yet another jewel of a spot in your network of blue lines, Alan. A new sign augmenting the old, broken one would be a fine touch, especially if it doesn't intrude on the sylvan setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill those little waters are many, and I must visit a few that I've not been in some time.
      The sign will be designed to blend in with the beauty of the area. I'm going through my photos trying to find some of previous outings there.

      Delete
  3. You jump out on the net and Google Moe's Pool, you get a pool service and a pool hall. Apparently Moe wasn't very well known. He will be after this post though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark wow a pool hall now that sounds about right. I hope the folks go there instead of that little stream.

      Delete
  4. I like the intrigue of "Moe's Pool". I'm glad Google did not solve the mystery. Life is better with some mystery remaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Google has it all, but not this place. The mystery shall remain.

      Delete
  5. Moe's pool.... that's fun.... enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug Korn
      Thanks
      Doug quiet and productive....

      Delete
  6. Alan, Moes pool is so typical of so many places through out our land where an individual has claimed a special place to fish or claim it as their own. I'm always intrigued by these places because some where along the way became very special to these individuals. I hope this trend never ends. Very nice story. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad over the years I have found a few places while hunting and fishing that have tag made to designate a special place. I enjoy reading the little quotes left by the people who found special meaning there.

      Delete
    2. Alan
      Beautiful area where the bridge is located---I assume heavy floods have little affect on it. Thanks for sharing

      Delete
    3. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill aside from lots of small tree debris the pool has remained the same as the first time I fished it. It survived a couple of hurricanes, ice jams, many nor'easters a survivor indeed.

      Delete
  7. lovely mate, the forth bridge made me smile also, we have a few forth bridges in scotland .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      George I gave the bridges numbers so when Jeanette asked how far up the stream I fished I would the bridge numbers so she would know where I fished.

      Delete
  8. An enigmatic post and, as always, a lovely stream. Detective work needed. Maybe Moe was a fly fisherman, someone who enjoyed the tranquility but didn't fish or maybe a Jack Russell! Your mission should you choose to accept it... Thanks Alan.
    Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John there are several Jack Russel's that walk the stream, so I think it may be a black Lab. I will ask a few questions and see if I can get the mystery solved.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful colors on that jewel. Great place to just sit and watch let alone drift a fly or two. Thank you.
    James-Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      James that stream has some beauties. I have eaten many a lunch at that spot...

      Delete