Saturday, October 20, 2018

The "Family Secret"......

Several months ago a good friend and fishing companion left this earth to fish heavenly streams. "Pete" aka "TROUT1" was a fly fisherman beyond compare. His knowledge was so vast that I think he never realized he had. A guy that was willing to share this knowledge with anybody. He also had more stories and most of them required a follow up, I think that was by design. He was a master at fishing soft-hackle flies, his favorite was the soft-hackle pheasant tail. Back in October of 2015 Pete and I fished a beautiful stream together. It's a stream he gave the name "Family Secret"...that day we fished various flies but the soft-hackles won out. I did a post on that outing, and I'll get it to you. "Small Stream Fishing" 10-20-15.....



Yesterday I fished the "Family Secret", with a good feeling. I selected the same runs and pools Pete and I fished that day in October of 2015.


The flies used then were not used by me yesterday. I had a streamer tied on that I used on my last outing to the Cape. Pete must have been OK with the selection for the brook trout responded quite well.


The "Family Secret" was running with more water then that day Pete and I did back in 2015.


These fish were not shy at hitting a streamer. Their color seemed a bit dark.


This run is slightly downstream from a place where Pete was fishing. I cast the streamer and worked it through some deep holes along the bank. In one of those holes I connected with a solid fish.


An outstanding trout anywhere, and a true trophy here in the "Family Secret"


This is the place Pete fished that day in October 2015. I did not fish it but instead looked upon it and said...I would but I don't have Pheasant-tail soft-hackle....


Here is Pete fishing that spot back in October 2015.....by the way Pete hooked an awesome fish that day just a few yards from where he was kneeling.












19 comments:

  1. Great looking fish. Of course there is more to fishing than catching fish. So nice you can revisit your memories of Pete in such a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      It was a stream that Pete enjoyed. A pleasure to fish and rewarding at times.

      Delete
  2. Mark Wittman
    I mistakenly deleted your comment. I'm sorry.
    Please comment again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching Alan, very touching. In our tradition we have a very short hymn and saying, in Slavonic "Vichnaj ja pamiate" in English "Memory eternal". When our loved ones pass, that's all we have left. I applaud you Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John I like that hymn. Memories truly are forever.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Alan, for sharing your memories of this valued friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill Pete was very special in so many ways.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Fishing memories never leave our minds, especially those fishing with close friends and even family!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill that outing with Pete is very vivid in my mind.

      Delete
  6. Hope it's not a 'secret" creek like my "secret" lake that everyone knows about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark there are people who walk the area and have told us they never knew there were trout in it. It's safe to say it's a secret.

      Delete
  7. stunning fish alan, they are definitely not shy of that hook size either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      George they were very aggressive and really hit that streamer.

      Delete
  8. Alan, a beautiful tribute to your friend Pete who I believe was right there with you. Stunning pictures of both trout and surroundings. That last brook trout pictured is incredible.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam I kind of had a feeling he was observing. That male was on the dark side, his back was almost black.

      Delete
    2. Alan, folks who don't catch brook trout this time of year can never realize the beauty of them. They pretty much glow when brought to net or hand this time of year. A true gift for those of us who connect with them.

      Delete
    3. Sam, I wish everyone could experience a brook trout in Autumn. As you said we are so fortunate to have them so close.

      Delete
  9. Wow Alan!
    This is such a wonderful post about your pal Pete! He was definately with you this day when you fished....and remembered! You are indeed to have such fond memories of him!
    The streamers that you used (and also posted on another entry) are beautiful! You know my passion for marabou winged streamers! They are super soft and real fish getters! I am glad to see them locked in the jaws of such beautiful fish! Very effective indeed!
    I so enjoy this blog-spot!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug I'm still using those marabou streamers you sent me. One in particular did well on the Cape. It had a pearl like body with a orange tail and throat with a yellow marabou wing. Marabou is such a fish taker.

      Delete