Monday, December 10, 2018

A Couple of Thank You's....

Back in October a reader of SSR's sent me an e-mail asking if I wanted some woodcock wings, and feathers. He assured me that they were clean and the markings were quality. Woodcock is a staple in the construction of North Country flies. They have proven to be fish catchers and they are a forgiving feather in that they are not overwhelmingly fragile. Well getting back to the e-mail, I said I would love to have the woodcock wings and feathers. A few days later I received a package and when I opened it I was astounded. The wings were the best I've seen. These feathers were perfect. Their shape and sheer amount of quality useful feathers was beyond what I had imagined. "John" I want to thank you for the feathers and I'll be busy this winter creating many flies.



This is a Woodcock and Orange spider. The hackle is on of the feathers from John's woodcock wings.


Woodcock and Orange with tail. The hackle is an under covert from a woodcock.


Tom Davis of "Teton Tenkara", which is a wonderful blog by the way. He posted a pattern that I copied and had success with it. Seeing this Tenkara pattern and others that I've tied. A reader of SSR's by the name of Bill Shuck got bit by the Kebari style flies and created this awesome fly. Some of the materials used in the fly are heron, mole, and waterhen. I could see this fly in the lip of a brook trout...







20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Great feathers, great flies.

      Delete
  2. I like very much to tie this style of flies they fulfill their function very well under the water ... this one of the photo is a good tied pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando those little feathers move like crazy in the currents and I think that is why they work so well.

      Delete
  3. It's really nice when good things come to you unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I love it when a package arrives like that. Sort of like a Santa call.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what else you tie with the Woodcock, Alan. Bill, your Spring Grey is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike I'm going to enjoy this winter at the vise. I'm attempting to tie the Spring Gray.

      Delete
  5. lovely wings and lovely flies created from them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      George the wings were loaded with a great deal of feathers of various sizes. A+

      Delete
  6. Alan,
    Yes, Bills work is delicious indeed and this pattern is no exception! When he has a particular pattern in his cross hairs, look out! There is no stopping him until he reaches perfection!
    Our mouths are watering over the pile of woodcock wings and your beautiful orange creations thereof! Beautiful patterns from beautiful materials! It doesn't get much better than this!
    Thank you for simplicity Alan!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug Bill's creations are meticulous and they are very impressionistic...fish catchers.
      I have a few patterns in mind, and those woodcock will be part of them.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful soft hackles, Alan. What a nice gift getting the woodcock feathers. Those feathers will tide you over for quite a while for fly tying this upcoming winter. 40's predicted later on this week might find me quitting work just a tad early to drift flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam I really loved the condition and quality of the woodcock. The secret to tying good flies is great materials.
      I saw that forecast...get out if you can.

      Delete
    2. Alan, I spent some time in the basement tonight rigging up to go. Same hare's ear on the end from last time out, and a little egg pattern dropper up above. Mid 40 air temps will mighty nice.

      Delete
    3. Sam I often fish the same fly first that I fished on the last outing. If you get out we would love to know how you did.

      Delete
  8. Alan
    These woodcock wings remind me of the days when I used to hunt the woodcock in the swamp areas of the Mississippi Delta. Christmas came early for you Alan!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill you are a hunter. The woodcock is a special magical bird worthy of fine shotguns and gentleman hunters.
      A fine gift for certain.

      Delete
  9. We were on a 50th anniversary cruise the last two weeks so it's nice to come back to a lot of your blog posts.

    Beautiful flies Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bill piatek
      Thanks
      Bill congrats on your 50th.
      Settle in and catch up.

      Delete