Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Blog Potpourri

I have always said that March is the toughest month to fish for me. That transition from winter to spring is about as difficult to get trout to take a fly with any consistency as I ever encounter in the year. Weather conditions also are way to the extremes. I mean down right cold, windy, warm, snow, and rain, you get the picture. In March I fish lots of big wet flies, and small dry flies. I have had success with fishing a size 18 Bomber, as well as a size 10 wet fly. Often I'll pull out "pinkie" and get some takes.



I'm going to get out today at some point. It looks like the pick of the week as the weather guessers say. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to drop this #10 on a trouts head.


Matt Harding who hails from the Pacific west coast sent me this photo of a pretty hefty coho salmon that took a Montreal Whore streamer. Matt has also sent me recipes of flies he uses on sea-run Cutthroats. The patterns look like they would work on the brook trout here.


This is a salmon I took back in the late 90's. It was also taken on a Montreal Whore. If you look at the rod you'll see taped markings. These I put on the rod for measurements. The one closer to the handle is 12" from the end of the rod at the cap. The other piece of tape is 20"...I guess to salmon to be 21"...the fish was caught in Rangeley Maine, and it gave that Orvis 5wt all it could handle.


I have some terrific news coming.....Cane and Silk news...stay tuned.








18 comments:

  1. Cane and Silk? Be still my beating heart.

    Going out today also ... and Thursday too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bill piatek
      Thanks
      Bill you'll like Cane and Silk
      Out today and I could not access the stream.

      Delete
    2. Stream here was muddy & high in some spots but a friend & I found a little clearer area and some fish. Stocker 'bows but I'm not proud. :-)

      Delete
    3. Bill, you were out and experienced tight lines. You can't beat that.

      Delete
  2. Used to use the Montreal Whore a lot fishing for landlocked salmon in the Moosehead Lake region of Maine. Obviously it worked for you as well in the western part of the state. That is one heck of a landlocked you caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill that fly is a great streamer. Moosehead is a lake I've never fished, maybe..
      That landlocked was the biggest I ever caught. Lot's of smelt in that belly.

      Delete
    2. Mostly we fished the lake tribs during the fall run up -- Roach River, East Outlet, Moose River plus some of the area "ponds".

      Delete
    3. Bill the ponds can be very productive. I have had some wonderful outings on them. What was interesting was that the brookies took a variety of flies from streamers to nymphs.

      Delete
  3. Interesting, those type of flies (Montreal Whore) work up in the Northwest, but down here Salmon & Steelhead won't touch them. They prefer the plain old Wooly Bugger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark the bugger works well in the great lakes tributaries on salmon and steelhead. A very good fly that bugger.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flies and salmon pictured, Alan. One more day closer to spring. Good thing because I have cabin fever big time. I will especially enjoy spring this year.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam at this point in the winter all of us are now anticipating the arrival of real spring. We have had fragments of it but it's not enough to cure cabin fever. Hang in there buddy.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    I agree March is a tough time to try to fish----in fact my last trip which was my last post, caused me to get pneumonia; very windy and cold the day I was on the lake. The older we get it becomes clear that it takes longer to recover from sickness. Take care out there ---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill pneumonia is not good for anybody and especially for us seasoned gents. Do what the Doc says and get well.

      Delete
  6. Cane and silk news...hmmn, now you have me wondering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark I think your going to like it.

      Delete
  7. I had to google Montreal Whore. Hope my wife doesn't look at my search history... Enjoyed this, and looking forward to the cane & silk news...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Agneta
      Thanks
      Mike I know the name is a bit out there for a fly. Many times I refer to it as a Montreal Lady. They work very well.

      Delete