Thursday, July 25, 2019

2 And 3 of Three...and the story

Over a month ago I wrote a couple of posts about small stream browns. The stream I had been fishing yielded several nice browns on a couple of outings. On one of those trips I was fishing a culvert pool which is quite deep. This pool has given up some brookies and browns in the past. I had been fishing a picket pin and that's what I tossed out. Within a few casts I had a fish on. Looking down into the water I saw I had a chub on. The fish was zig zagging all over. Suddenly from up out of the bottom of the pool I saw a really big fish come and slam that chub. I estimate the brown to be at least 20 inches and very broad shouldered. The brown tried his best to eat that chub and held on to it. There was a lot of splashing and thrashing going on in that pool. I did not think I had the brown hooked but I still attempted to bring the fish to the top of the culvert, and that's when he let go of the chub.

Since that encounter I have been back there attempting to catch him again. That has not happened.


This is the chub that the brown hit. I had tied three very large streamers to try to catch that brown. They all are large and silvery much like the chub. I posted one before "One of Three"...


Streamer #2...


Streamer #3...


These are the three. I have not given up on catching this brown and I hope one of these three will get that job done.








10 comments:

  1. Have you seen him since Alan? If he has an artistic bent he should hit one of the three. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      I have fished that culvert pool three times and have not seen him. We have had some rains and he may have moved, but I'm sure he will be back.

      Delete
  2. That's a really cool encounter! I'm voting for the bucktail, #3. Just such a clean, simple and classic looking fly to my eyes... Good Luck Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will that's a good choice. Many smelt patterns feature the same slim profile.
      It's also a great pattern for "snapper" blues.

      Delete
  3. You'll get him Alan. I have faith in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark if the chance presents itself again I'll be ready.

      Delete
  4. I like your chances, Alan, and look forward to reading the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      I hope the story has the ending we all would like.

      Delete
  5. Those are beautiful flies! I can't wait to hear which one he decides to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph Hord
      Thanks
      Joe I hope he takes one of them..if not it will be back to the drawing board.

      Delete