Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Hook's, Plus....

Firehole Sticks, a new hook in the arsenal. I say new hook in that it's new to me and this report on the way it's worked in certain applications is one that I think will justify my use of this brand. The hook is a barbless competition scud/pupa bend. The hook is extremely sharp, I have broken thread by just touching the point lightly. It has great fish hooking ability as well as being able to hold the fish that is hooked. There are several hooks out there that are similar and I use a few of those. The one hook brand that I consider to be the top of the line and by which I compare other brands is the Orvis Tactical hook. I'm happy to say in the short time I have used the Firehole Sticks I believe they are just about the same. One other point to make is the price. The Orvis Tactical hook retails for 9.00 for 25 hooks, and the Firehole Sticks retail at 10.00 for 50.



As you see the hook is black nickel plated, I really like that. It's carbon steel and has a nice curve that will work in many types and patterns.


Sakasa Kebari are perfect on this hook. You have seen the results of this fly in my last few posts. I have also tied a few nymphs using this hook and will post results in future posts.


The bomber tied on that same hook. It has passed the bench test and waits to be tested on the water/fish. I'm quite pleased with this hook and I'm certain you will see the results.


"Clam Cakes"....fresh chopped clams, mixed with crackers, celery, onion, parsley, cayenne pepper and melted butter. I form a patty in hand and place on baking sheet, popped into a 375 degree oven for a few minutes to firm them up then they are fried in butter until golden brown...enjoy.








20 comments:

  1. Nice to see your thoughts on some of Firehole's hooks. I keep hearing good things but as of yet, have not tried them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will so far so good. The only issue that can happen is they fail to hold, the hook bends that is. I'll keep you informed.

      Delete
  2. Oh those clam cakes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill they are indeed. Not to difficult to make.

      Delete
  3. Great, I was perfectly happy with my left over turkey sandwich until you posted those clam cakes! Man, those look good, Alan. As for the hooks... I really like the Orvis Tactical, too. It will be worth watching to see if these Firehole hooks stand up as well. More clam cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike a turkey sandwich is not bad, lettuce tomato mayo, on good bread. The clams are tasty.
      Orvis is the Cadillac of hooks, so the Firehole has some proving to do.

      Delete
  4. Alan, I like to save your posts for my lunch break. Seeing those clam cakes made me salivate. Thanks for the word on the FireHole scud hooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt Harding
      Thanks
      Matt they also make a good looking streamer hook, picked up a box. Will tie up a few streamers on it and give a report.

      Delete
  5. These hooks are seen to be formidable, I wish I could have some, of course here in my area they will not arrive, the best of all is the clam cake, good taste Alan ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando so far they have done well for themselves. You should be able to get them online. The clam cakes were delicious.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan,
    Nice flies and hooks....
    I to like the Orvis Tactical Hooks but we have the same issue here in the UK as you do regarding price, £7.95 for 25 where I can get Partridge, TMC, Daichi or Fulling Mill for just over half that! I normally get them when Orvis have the 'Spend over £50 and get £25 off' deals.
    As a side note those clam cakes look and sound fantastic. I got some Palourde Clams from a local fishmonger for a special meal with friends last weekend. They were simply steamed with garlic, parsley, knob of butter and some dry fino sherry. I am definitely going to get some more this weekend and try out your recipe! Thank you so much for sharing these culinary delights!
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair I can't understand the price difference between Orvis and other brands..business I guess.
      You have the proper seasonings for fresh clams. Add a few fresh tomatoes and some good crusty bread..then set a plate for me.

      Delete
  7. Alan - Interesting hooks and a great recipe for the clam cakes! J Stockard currently has the Fire Stick hooks on sale for 36 hooks at $6.18. I have not used them but next time I replenish some of my scud/pupa hooks I will give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat that's a nice price. Like all hooks a test of time is the best way how they perform.

      Delete
  8. Alan, I make pretty much the same mixture but rather than fry it, I pack it into an empty clam shell, bake it and call it a stuffed clam. Tastes about the same, delicious, and a little less work. Then there's something about eating it out of a shell that pleases me. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John you are right. Did you ever mix the same basic ingredients and use salmon or other finned fish. I never have but I think it would be pretty good.

      Delete
    2. I do with canned salmon but those I definitely fry.

      Delete
    3. Thanks John, I'm going to try a couple of fish in the basic recipe.

      Delete
  9. Alan
    I can taste those clam cakes from here, looks delicious. No need to sharpen that style hook it looks like it would stay put in a trout's mouth. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the hooks hold well as long as you keep tension on the fish.

      Delete