Monday, October 14, 2019

Columbus Day, And A Few Thoughts

Good morning. Being of Italian heritage Columbus Day is a nice, quiet and very filling day. The day will start with "spinach and eggs", great coffee as always. Supper will no doubt feature a special dish which will include pasta. I can't wait.

Fly boxes. Over the years I have had quite a few and I know most of you have also. Mine have run the gambit from Classic Wheatley, to Plano plastic and the multitude of foam boxes. Well here is my take on what you should own. This is just my opinion.


C&F fly boxes are my number 1. I have had them now going on 15 years. Models like the one shown here to those threader boxes. These boxes are almost indestructible, just don't leave them on the dashboard of your car in the sun, they tend to warp. That aside they are a value that is hard to beat. The size I use is perfect for a small stream guy. It will fit most any pocket and the edges are rounded so they slide in and out with ease.


As you can see, "not very organized" sorry for that. But it holds a lot of flies everything from streamers to nymphs. Sizes from 8 to 18 are snugly held, and the rows are spaced so as to not crush the hackles.


The book "Brook Trout" by Nick Karas. If you have not read this book I say "why not"...even if you don't fish for these jewels this book will enlighten you to the remarkable history that surrounds this native char. The book has been in print for many years so I'm certain one can be found. Buy it, read it and enjoy.


SLF dubbing...look at that little bit of sparkle in the mix. Enough said....A SSR's favorite.








16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. dpnoll
      Thanks
      Even the spinach and eggs?

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite breakfasts. (with bacon)

      Delete
    3. Everything works well with bacon.

      Delete
    4. My book arrived in the mail today.

      Delete
    5. You are going to enjoy it...lots of info and history.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alan - Happy Columbus Day from a fellow angler whose ancestors were Italian! Thanks for the tips on the fly boxes and the brook trout book which I cannot believe I do not have - I will search the web.

    Enjoy your feast tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat that book has been out a long time. There is a photo of a beautiful wild brook trout taken from the South Branch of the Raritan River. Beautiful fish.

      Delete
  3. Happy Columbus Day. My son's birthday. He turned the big 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      50 you say, I wish it was my 50th.
      Wish him well.

      Delete
  4. I loved Karas's 'Brook Trout', many years ago I tied up a dozen Parmachene Belles using the original recipe found in the book. A lot of great history in those pages. Breakfast looks mighty tasty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      I know the fly your speaking of. It does have brookie appeal. As for history it is one of the better sources out there.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Small fly boxes are my go to fly boxes. In fact everything I use in fly fishing is on the small size. I don't wear a vest anymore, the small chest pack I used is perfect and light weight. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I to did away with my vest and I use a Fishpond San Juan pack. It's ideal for how I fish. When you want to carry just what you need for a few hours of fishing.

      Delete
  6. Good morning Alan, I'm still addicted to Wheatley boxes. Like the face of a clock, some designs simply cannot be improved, in my view. I use the very small ones. Clip boxes for wets and compartment boxes for dries. I had mine engraved with my name (fondness indeed).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John Wheatley's are classic. I had a compartment box which I have since sold. The box I have is a clip model that I carry wets and streamers in. I had a few Perrine boxes that I would display my streamers in.

      Delete