Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Is Size Important?

The answer to that question has been tossed about for a long time. There have been books written about the importance of getting the size of your fly to match the size of the insects on or in the water. Many experts say that this size factor will determine your success on the water. Well here is my take on it. First off I will say I'm not an expert. What and how I choose, and how I go about fishing the flies I choose comes from what I see when I start fishing. In the first picture you see a couple of nymphs and a dun. I'm not certain they are related but the point here is the size of the insects. Just guessing I say they would be a size 16 or 18. In the next series of photos you'll see what I think are the right flies to get a fish to hand.



This is a generic nymph in size 16. Some wraps of pheasant tail and peacock for a thorax. It is incredible what a trout can see underwater.


This soft-hackle is another example of an effective fly. Tied on a 16 hook, brown thread, squirrel thorax and a pheasant hackle. If you look at the adult dun in the first photo you will see a similar likeness to this fly. When wet the soft hackles will collapse and move forward within the currents to simulate a drowned adult or an emerging adult.


This brook trout took the small nymph. I don't fish nymphs often but when I do size is a consideration.


This little dark Cahill wet fly was a hit yesterday on the Farmington. One of the trout taken with it was a gorgeous brown who I guess to be 16-17 inches. I lost the fish at the net.


The local market had a feature on country style pork ribs. I picked up a couple of family packs and made some sausage from them. I cut the pork into little cubes with a knife. Seasoned the pork with some salt, black and red pepper and some fennel seed. I them made some patties, fired them and you talk about delicious.












16 comments:

  1. In my case, size does matter. The smaller the fly, the harder to see it and tie it on the leader. Even with the old "magnifier on the cap" still a problem. I need to figure out how to get a big magnifying glass out on the creek. By big, I mean something like 20 power or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I to have problems seeing those small eye holes on the flies. It was worse when I used 6and 7x tippet. Going to a 5x has helped, but dollar store cheaters also helps. Most of my flies are 12 and 14.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    I'm with Mark, when it comes to anything smaller than an eighteen I pass on fishing it. Too much trouble trying to tie on anything in the 20 and certainly in the 22 size.
    The trout on the Sip seldom go after anything smaller than the 18.

    The temp here today is 104 unreal----time to move on from these hot days!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill size 20-22 flies have long been absent from my fly boxes...104 that's insane. we are a little warmer than normal at 75. We do need some rain though, not critical but needed.

      Delete
  3. Good imitation of those Farmington insects, Alan. From the looks and sounds of it the trout thought so too. Isn't it something when you have had a big trout on for a while and you think the hook must be secure then all of a sudden it just decides to let go. That sure is a beautiful brook trout, good sized one too. They are really something to behold this time of year.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam you have experienced this slip of the hook many times I'm sure. It can be frustrating, but accepted. The brookies are really showing off some color much like the foliage. It's going to be a fine October.

      Delete
  4. Frustrating and accepted is the best way to say it. You are so right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam they did it to me again today....fish on fish off.
      I guess it could be worse.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pics, Alan. I'm not sure which I like better, the trout or the sausage. Up here we're getting ready to put this years pigs in the freezer. A #18 is pretty much my limit on tying and fishing. Once in awhile I'll tie on a #20 soft hackle, but that's a rare occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike you raise hogs too. I love quality pork. I remember a southern pork company named Lundy, outstanding. Also Tobin packing in NY. The older we get the smaller a size 18 is. A nice size for me is a 14.

      Delete
  6. It never bothers me, in the least to lose a trout while fighting. We call it a "gentleman's release". Now losing a big Tautog or Fluke, that's different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John I like that "gentleman's release"...when loosing a fish like that I always wonder if it was my fault. A slaty preference.

      Delete
  7. Alan, good topic. I just ignore articles about hook/fly size these days, because the more I read the more contradictory the subject becomes. All I know is I've netted large trout on sz.14 and very small trout on sz.6 and feel it's really up to each individual fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt Harding
      Thanks
      Matt it borders insanity the arguments of absolute size. Most wild brookies could care less. Size 6 streamers have taken there fair share of small aggressive trout.

      Delete
  8. Very good subject Alan, I believe that if there is a good relationship between the sizes of the flies and the habitat in which the fish develop, it would be in the different stages of the river, colder, hotter, sunny, cloudy, or rainy or with a lot of wind. In the daily diet of the animal ... etc. etc. is how you say you have to study the environment beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando I believe that it is very important to pay attention to the small and simple things in fly fishing. To remember these things and call on them when we are on the water. Observe my friend.

      Delete