Monday, October 21, 2019

The Gold And Mahogany Of October

This time of year it's easy to get caught up in the magnificent colors that abound. Most everybody favors those striking reds and brilliant oranges which seem to highlight most of the pictures of a New England countrysides. Well friends let me tell you of a couple of other colors that I favor. Those colors are the various golds and the regal mahogany. While fishing a blue line last week those two colors seem to dominate. My eyes could not get enough of these colors. Every time I gazed out along the stream there was gold and mahogany.



Like the reds and oranges, colors which are prevalent on brook trout, gold and mahogany are prevalent on wild brown trout.


Rich colors highlight this little brown.


The stream was in tip top condition. The only fly used today was a muddler variant fished dry.


Impressive, strong and handsome. Notice the deep brown color of the fins on this brown.


A wind blown branch lies in the sweet spot of this run....get the fly in there and usually there's a fish.


And there was.


Fiber optic? It was a great day out there. The gold and mahogany, foliage and wild browns.











13 comments:

  1. Is that a Pussy Willow I'm seeing in that last picture? I don't believe I've seen one since I left Wisconsin. A little deja vu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I believe that is Milkweed. It does look pretty.
      Pussy willows are a spring item.

      Delete
  2. Seems like good size fish for tiny water, Alan. I enjoyed the first picture of the white oak leaves, we don't have any oaks up here, red or white. Not much for leaves left on the trees in these parts. The colors came early, burned bright and fast; foliage season was brief this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      The cooler water has some of the bigger browns moving. Oh man the oaks here have been fertile. I can't recall ever seeing so many acorns. We are just past peak foliage, but there are some gorgeous pockets still to be found.

      Delete
  3. Great photos Alan. I'm catching more Browns this year and I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      The brown trout, Americas naturalized citizen. I like catching them. This time of year they can display some beautiful color.

      Delete
    2. Bill when I think of wild browns I picture Norway, and lots of white birch trees. Can't say why I put them together, just do.

      Delete
    3. I never thought of them being that far north but you're right. A quick Google showed how large they get there. Reminds me of the Alwife fattened ones I caught in Lake Michigan years back. I prefer the smaller wild stream ones I get now in NM.

      Delete
    4. Bill browns are pretty much all over the world. I tangled with a few lake run browns out of Ontario some years back, brutes man. I to prefer the small stream guys.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos of my favorite time of year. You sure capture what it is all about in your photos. My wife and I headed up to our community garden plot this evening and the milk weeds are popping like crazy. I cultivate a few plants up there as my small part to help the monarchs and spread those pods around.

    That second brown pictured seems to have an ivory edged fin, just like a brook trout, though the rest are brown. Maybe just the lighting of the picture, but it sure looks like a brook trout fin, perhaps a little brook trout in that fish's DNA.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam I remember as a kid in 1st grade. My teacher would bring in the empty husks and we would paint them different colors and use them in fall decorations.
      I have noticed that white streak in a couple of browns. Not certain why it's there. I fished a small stream yesterday that may have had super bad summer.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Looks like the brook trout are stocking up for the winter months. Beautiful area you were fishing, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the browns are on the move with the rains we have had in the last week, more to come.

      Delete