Thursday, December 26, 2019

Coachmen And Christmas Eve Day

Last week while fumbling through a pattern book titled Minnows Of North America And Their Streamer Imitations by George Herter I came across a fly that was name the California Coachman. This is the first I've seen or heard of this pattern. So I tied up the fly and when completed it looks like a fine brook trout fly. The fly is similar to the Royal Coachman with the exception of a yellow floss body and yellow hackle.



This is a Royal Coachman wet fly. This fly when tied in it's many styles which include bucktail and featherwing streamer it is also tied as a dry and wet fly.


Christmas Eve day I ventured out for a couple of hours armed with a Royal Coachman wet. I stayed with it and after some 60 minutes had my first hit.


The water was cold and that's was probably why the slow feeding. Once the stream hit that "right" temperature the fishing got better.


I'm always impressed at the super condition of winter brookies.


In the small sunny pockets of the stream were a few fish in waiting.


And the Royal Coachman was there to do it's magic.










18 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures as always, thank you. I've never heard of a 'California Coachman' either but you tied it up wonderfully. Let us know how it fishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike the first I've heard of it was in Herters book. It should work fine for brookies.

      Delete
  2. Alan, I also like the Royal Coachman wet fly or small streamer. I have found it to be a good attractor pattern for brook trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam the Coachman series is great. And they will attract brookies. The streamer is a better than average LL salmon pattern as well.

      Delete
  3. Such a great series of fly, Coachman's. That California option is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will a fly that's nice to fish from time to time.
      Like to tie up some Bergman wets and give them a try.

      Delete
  4. I was a big fan of Herter's in high school. Used to spend weeks going over their catalog. Bought a lot of archery equipment, fly rod kits and tying materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill I've heard that is catalog was tops back in the day.
      Some of his streamer patterns look good as well.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    A great color combo with the yellow body Coachman; I could see brook trout as well as rainbow taking this streamer. Looking forward to giving the Postman a try on the Sipsey and Caney. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the Postman should work well on those Sipsey rainbows.

      Delete
  6. ...and thanks to Armando for sharing his beautiful sketch with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan, being a N.West coaster, I've been aware of the Cal. Coachman. The closest version I've tied/fished to it is basically a Royal Trude Coachman with lime floss. Fished wet/dry sz.10-14. The Royal Trude is my favorite in the Coachman family. A true utility fly. Cheers to a new year of hungry trout & bending rods to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt Harding
      Thanks
      Matt so you fish it as a wet fly as to the streamer version. I have always fished the RC as a streamer and just recently started tying and fishing the wet #8-10-12. The Royal Trude is one I must try.

      Delete
  8. Plus one to the lime trude. One of my favorites, as well. I always called the California coachman Au_coachman or gold coachman. Like a salmon pattern, represents nothing living but catches fish. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John you also like the Trude. OK I get it and will tie up a few. So the Cal Coachman is known to some of you. Had I not glanced through that book I would have never knew it existed.

      Delete
  9. Heater's The Book of my youth!!
    Still using my Heater's vice to tie fly's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      Another reminder that Mr. Herter was well known. And to still be using a vise from his catalog is a tribute to the names quality.

      Delete