Thursday, March 26, 2020

Rainy Day Brookies

Again those weather guys nailed it "wrong"...The day was supposed to be pretty much dry at least for the morning. I arrived at the stream and the sky was nasty looking, but I put on the rain gear, got the rod and set off. Twenty steps and it started to drizzle and drizzle it did for four hours. I was there and I was going to fish. The stream was flowing a bit high, the clarity clear. I figured the pools would probably be my best picks for finding fish so that's where I concentrated my time. I had a nymph on because that's the fly I fished last on my previous outing. Several places which looked promising turned out to be a bust. In a slick spot behind a boulder I had a hit.



Lifting the rod tip I felt the tug of a brookie. A few seconds later and I had my first fish. Those nymphs work, and I don't even know what I'm doing when I fish them. The bottom of the streams are graveyards for my nymphs and the pheasant tail I was using joined several others.


Bridges, never pass up fishing under those bridges. I had several responses and eventually a brookie took the fly.


A nice fish for this stream.


There was a great deal of quality water in the stream this day. Some hookups and some LDR's.


Snack time. Pepperoni it's portable and tasty even in the rain.


A strange pool. Almost all bedrock. I think there may be six complimentary pieces of gravel in it. But it was deep.


And there was a brookie in that pool and I was thrilled to catch it.


As I got closer to the car the rain picked up...today it is going to be sunny and warm, maybe....












18 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing us with you Alan! That "Bedrock Pool" looks amazing , just the sort of spot a brookie would love to hide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will it is my pleasure sharing my adventures. I think that brookie had the one spot in that pool in which to conceal himself.

      Delete
  2. Alan,thank you so much for sharing your day with us . That stream is beautiful as are the brookies in it. The season can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resman549
      Thanks
      Yes sir there is no question that is one of the 5 best little streams I fish. It's still March and the brookies have not their comfort zones yet.

      Delete
  3. Alan,
    Great looking stream, I never tire of looking at water like that. Thanks for sharing.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe you could not catch a fish and still be satisfied you had a fine day. The magic is in where we fish.

      Delete
  4. Weather Guessers. Can't trust them for a minute. Good that you can at least get out. Out here unless your are "essential" you're on house arrest. Governor has shut down the whole state. Doesn't look like they will let us out until May. Getting a lot of solitaire in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I have my beliefs on this virus but I'll not express them here. I will say I feel sorry for you. Summer shack nasties, just not right.

      Delete
  5. We have a "Shelter in Place" starting at midnight on Friday in Minnesota. Luckily it does not apply to hiking, biking or fishing as long as you practise responsible social distancing. I have about 20 trout streams within 1 hour of home and the local gas station just went down to $1.099 . Heading out tomorrow AM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dpnoll
      Thanks
      I think getting out and spending time in the woods is great therapy for body and mind. We are a people who love nature and we should enjoy it. Like you said be responsible. $1.09 I'm on my way there.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan

    Good you can still get out........ We are almost in lock down now in the UK. Only 'essential journeys and time out doors for exercise' are allowed and that does not include a trip to your local trout stream in the middle of nowhere!
    Still I am managing to get in a bit of fly tying when not at work (I am in an essential industry!).

    Thanks

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair we here in CT are asked to practice social distancing, and some common sense things which you would do when your sick. I hope it soon passes and we can return to normal.
      Be well and tie on...

      Delete
  7. Alan
    Another outstanding stream you was fishing, just wondering how many different streams do you fish in a season? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bil Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill a guess would be 60...that's in CT and MA.

      Delete
  8. Hi Alan- I don't know what I'm doing with nymphs either. With all the various disciplines within "Nymph fishing" it can be a study. I don't enjoy the high stick technique even though it can be very productive. High sticking robs me of the "zen" of the cast. I go with simple and fish a nymph on a dead drift, no indicator unless its really fast water. Short cast watching the floating leader for the take. As for the weather folks, I'm convinced they skew their forecast to the positive side at this time of year to keep us all out of the grips of depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean F
      Thanks
      Dean I fish my nymphs just as you do, dead drift. I like to once in awhile to fish a nymph, and a soft-hackle tailing off the back of it. I guess you have a point on the weather guys.

      Delete
  9. Enjoy this site, and fishing CT small streams, I usually fish
    NE CT but havent in a year or so. The bridge almost looks like a spot on roaring brook, one of my favorite streams off the deaten path. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan C
      Thanks
      Alan NE CT has a tremendous amount of small streams to fish, many of them on state land. The landowners in that part of the state are pretty nice in most times will grant you permission to access streams on their land.

      Delete