Thursday, May 14, 2020

Brook Trout Happenings

A free flowing stream tucked into the woods of Connecticut. In my life I have encountered streams like these many times. These streams are tiny to small. Their depths vary as do their widths. Some flow over boulders and some flow over a more subdued bottom of moderate stone. They are for the most part hidden and some of them flow through private lands. These streams are not place that will draw serious fly anglers who much prefer larger waters and bigger trout. They will however be on the note pads of us who prefer solitary quiet settings. An added bonus is the wild brook trout that they contain.



A wild brook trout taken in the stream pictured above. He is not huge in size but is a giant in the ways of survival. There are many streams like this in Connecticut, some named and some not.


In the recent issue of Trout magazine there are two articles on brook trout. Detailed are some of TU's effort to restore watersheds that hold these wild jewels. One article in particular was on restoration of streams in the Green Mountains of Vermont. One of those streams I'm familiar with...well done CT River chapter of TU. Check the map that I saw in the EBTV....little CT is there. Look close.





7 comments:

  1. The map of Vermont makes me sad. Hell, the whole damn map makes me sad. Even up here we have to fight the forces of ultimate darkness every day as they attempt to destroy more and more habitat. I know we're all tired and cranky but if we value our wild fish we need to do more, now, to protect those watersheds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Most of the streams still have not been surveyed, so it's still a good guess I would say. Improvements have been made but there is much to be done. Thanks to the groups doing the heavy lifting in order that the brook trout survive.

      Delete
  2. I see it. No I don't. Thought I did. Nope didn't. A little humor for your Friday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark well it's Saturday morning and I could use the humor.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alan,

    I like you have a great large river not too far away from where I live (the River Tees is less than 40 minutes drive) but I do prefer the tight close quarter fishing of a small stream. Yes I can catch more (and substantially bigger) fish up on the Tees but I love the challenge of the small stream. We don't have the number you have got near you but there are several not too far which hold a good head of wild trout. What we do have a lot of are stocked reservoirs lakes and ponds. However, the thought of fishing those and catching overweight, overfed freeks turns me off fishing so much. I have resorted to it once in the last 20 years and it was purely to scratch an itch - I caught impressively sized rainbows but their lack of fight left me sadly empty. There is a lot of good work being done in the UK by the Wild Trout Trust to bring back wild trout and where possible to protect a particular watersheds strain. Our club on the little River Leven has had so much help and guidance by them to protect our trout (we have even won awards for the work we have done!). These organisations are vital to the future of our sport.
    On another note, I had my first trip out after the ease of our lock down yesterday. Seven trout to 12", five on top, one to a nymph and one to a soft hackle. Plenty of fish rising, lots of fly life and a cacophony of bird song - absolute bliss and serentity.

    Take care

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair we loose considerably when we try to better what's natural. Your rivers and streams are home to the native brown and grayling. Putting other trout in the mix does nothing to enhance the stream or the angling experience.
      Great day for you. The bliss and serenity were paramount for sure.

      Delete
  4. Alan
    Let's hope that these streams will continue to produce wild brook trout in future years. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete