Monday, August 3, 2020

As Summer Goes...Happenings.

As we roll into August we start to see changes. Some of the foliage is loosing that deep green color, a few oaks are dropping acorns and showing are the Cardinal flower and a favorite of mine the Joe Pye weed. The streams are at summer lows with few exceptions. I fished one of those exceptions last week. I like to come here at this time of year because I can find some lovely water to fish. The stream is a crap shoot as far as finding fish. In some years I find them close and in other years it's a walk. This time it was just about in the center. A few big boulders and slippery flat rocks but not enough to cause knee issues. My last outings have been dry fly events and this one was the same. The fish were very eager to rise to the fly but you have one shot for a hookup. They do not come back a second time.



The one constant in the streams I've fished this year is the large number of small brookies. Last years spawn and this springs hatch rate has been exceptional.


Here's a wild jewel that did not miss the fly.


These are the places I don't favor. They are beautiful, but slippery and have some deep holes. I will move cautiously along the banks and make my casts as best as I can.


When it all comes together great things happen.


Not a bad showing today...Hans...









14 comments:

  1. Man, that is a beautiful stream, Alan. Places like that and I sometimes forget to fish; I just end taking a long walk in the woods. I see you took your bamboo out for a walk, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike yes places like this can have that effect on an angler. Again it's not about the fish.
      Yes and the bamboo was awesome in getting it done. Soft and smooth.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark it sure is. And with the rainfall that's on the way it's going to be perfect.

      Delete
  3. Sweet stream Alan. But as you know it's going to be a few months for me for a spot like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill I am aware of your issues. But when the time comes and your able to get to a stream like this I'm sure you'll do just fine.

      Delete
  4. Alan,
    That is one beautiful looking little rod, and in a beautiful place too. Delightful.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John that little rod is perfect for that type of stream. It knows how to gently persuade a brookie into giving up the fight.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Do I see a furl leader being used with your bamboo? Quality brook taken in some of those holes. I would have to use a wading staff fishing some of those pocket holes. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill that sure is a furled leader. That's a 3' one. It balances well with the little bamboo rod. A wading staff is ideal in such places. Most times I'll choose to walk the banks.

      Delete
  6. I would love to tackle that spot, I'd have to leave the tiny angler at home though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan Camp
      Thanks
      Nate I can see that...but it's going to take awhile before the tiny one will be able to tackle it.

      Delete
  7. Lovely day indeed. Also love the Stewart Spider gracing the footnote to this post. Thanks for sharing the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin that Stewart Spider is a go to fly in many outings.
      Simplicity without question.

      Delete