Sunday, November 8, 2020

The "Little Creek".....

What's going on...This little creek that flows into a small stream has a lot of history with me. I first found out about it when researching the stream which it flows into. The article told me it was part of the protection the small stream had. "All tributaries shall fall under the same rules"....so that stirred interest into this little creek and i found myself checking it out. I started walking it from it's start to where it enters into the small stream. Parts of it were kind of swampy and others were real gorgeous. It had it's share of pools and riffles with the necessary undercut banks with a fair amount of woody debris to make any wild trout happy. My first attempts at fishing the little creek were less then stellar. More tiny brown trout scattered then caught. But I continued to fish it and over the many years I have come to some conclusions. One of them is that the brown trout in this little creek are for the most part  born, live and die within it's waters.

 

 

This is one of the many brown trout I have taken from this little creek over the last 20 years. Most of them look identical both in size and color.
 

This is a wild brown trout taken from the little creek. It to has the same coloration and spotting as the rest of the brown trout from the creeks waters.
 

And just last week I tangled with this fellow. Please note the color and spotting of this fish. All of these fish seem to possess the same genetics. Is the creeks waters responsible, or perhaps the same offspring of the original browns that spawned in the little creek many years ago. This is one of those magical things that keep me going back to the "little creek"....
 

 

15 comments:

  1. Lovely stream, lovely trout Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Hidden gems in plain sight...there's no trout in there.

      Delete
  2. That looks like a beautiful little piece of water, Alan. That second fish is a big boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike it's such a pleasure to walk it's banks. And once in awhile toss a fly in to it.

      Delete
  3. I once found a small Rainbow in a pool, under a drain pipe, 25 feet above the creek. Got to fish everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark some nice fish are found in some unlikely places...and yes you must fish all the water.

      Delete
  4. very beautiful trout Alan, I believe that it is the genetics of these animals that reproduce every year with an effort to survive, mimicking the wild environment in their skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando there is no question that genetics played a part. But there must be something else that drives these fish to that little creek.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    The creek you are fishing reminds me of the small creek that flowed into our pond from a spring that was its source. Both creeks bring back fond memories for both of us. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill there are certain things we anglers can never forget. I can remember the first time I fished that creek. Vivid memories for us.

      Delete
  6. I love little creeks like that. Just today Bev and I took a hike along a dirt road within a valley in our town and there was this nice flow of water coming out of wetland feeding another small creek that eventually meets the main stream a couple of miles below. I always enjoy seeing water flowing from the bottom of hills. I know there are brookies around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those wild browns are beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam glad you were out on such a beautiful November day. Your assessment of brook trout being near is probably correct. You and your wife enjoyed your walk, the small creek played a big part in that enjoyment.

      Delete
  7. Alan, I quit work a bit early today so Bev and I could take a short hike before sunset. Our destination was that little stream where I saw brookies spawning a few years ago. No sightings tonight of that activity, but I did see a log across the stream that supported a formidable leaf dam. The brookies could, and probably have already jumped over it, but I tore it apart anyway.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam they can usually handle the natural obstacles, it's the man made ones that create havoc. I think most spawning is complete and luckily we had good flows for it. Beautiful day for an evening hike. Glad you took advantage of it.

      Delete