Saturday, December 26, 2020

"Time"......


 

Time, who created it, and when was it created. For what purpose was this medium of what is done and when to do it. I for one can't tell you that but I can give you a few thoughts on this thing called time. A minute a measurement of time, 60 seconds. It passes so quickly that we don't even realize it's gone. In that brief span of perhaps but a few eye blinks our whole world can change. Sounds dramatic and maybe a bit corny but it is ever so true. As young anglers we want to cover as much river as we can and do it in as little time as possible. "The next bend in the river" must be fished in quickly so as to fish the "next bend in the river"...to what gain? In the time that we are so quick to fish as much of the stream as possible we have missed so much. Not every day is the same nor are the minutes within that day. Once passed they will never return. It is often said that time is your enemy and may be applied to our everyday dealings with life. But stop and make this enemy your friend. 

As young people an hour of time is really no big thing, for there will be another coming right after. But as we age we realize that time is not the same as when we were young. An hour moves much faster. Time is also the great healer. A mere hour spent walking a stream on a beautiful day can do more to fill your next 24 hours with memories that will come back to you decades in the future.

Slow down friends. Enjoy every minute you have upon the waters. As the saying goes "time slips away" but in reality it "flies".....

18 comments:

  1. Alan,
    Your perspective is spot on. A clarity that only age and experience can give a person. As the quote from the movie Ferris Bueller goes “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
    And yet I can't stop eyeing that next pool up ahead.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe Mr B was on to something. Eyeing the pool ahead is OK, but don't rush to it. The riffle in between may have a surprise for you.

      Delete
  2. I love that Ferris Bueller quote. So many times when I fish new water I wind up forgetting to fish. Time is spent walking the stream and enjoying all the 'newness' the next bend in the river brings. Time, it's way too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike one of the likes I have for winter is being able to see the stream, the whole stream. I love just poking about it be it in the water or just the forest.

      Delete
  3. Alan, We live inn 'instant age', everything is 'now, now, now'. I've been retired for fourteen years and I was so pre-conditioned by society that I've only just been able to read in the middle of the day without feeling guilty. I look at it now and think 'how ridiculous is that'.

    Go your own way and do your own thing.

    Stay safe,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John you are right on. The instant age is not new but it seems that it's more pronounced now. Slow down and and read, and while you are doing that cook a pork roast nice and slow.

      Delete
    2. Alan,
      Now that is a sound idea.
      Stay safe, John

      PS Now it's -6 and feels like winterer.

      Delete
    3. John, winter has caught up with you.
      Be warm...

      Delete
  4. For you younger folk, the older you get, the faster time flies. Here's a quote from Garth Brooks "It's like: never relax, never take that breath, never stop to get that drink of water. You know you can always smell roses when you're running with them in your hand."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark we have been through it. Now is the time for us to enjoy those speeding times. Put on the brakes folks.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    When it comes to time, my Mother used to tell me and my brothers that as we get older you begin to realize that a year passes as fast as 6 months. How true is that now for me as I will be turning 74 next month. I often wonder now where have all those years gone?-----great post reminding all of us how precious time really is--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I'll be 74 in February. I slowed down 30 years ago and that enabled me to see 60 years worth.
      A moment is fleeting and it does not come back.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan,

    As the late great Dave Allen used to say "Time! We get up by time, we go to work by time, we have lunch by time, we go home by time, we have our tea by time, we go to bed by time. And then we retire, what do they give us? A ***** clock."!!!!!!

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair I chuckled when I read your comment, retire and get a clock. All is well here. Stay safe across the pond.

      Delete
  7. Great advice, Alan. I, for one, have to get better at enjoying the moment I am in. Easier said than done. I think it takes practice.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam we have been conditioned to think that when we slow down we are not productive. See more, learn more, and you'll do more....slow down Sam and catch a Swift brown.

      Delete
  8. Alan, as usual you have given me food for thought at the beginning of the day ! I find myself sitting along streams and rivers more and watching than actually wading these days. Have a great day and enjoy your first day outing. Mike C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resman549
      Thanks
      Mike we as anglers will without a doubt will catch a fish in that stream, but in that process look at all we may miss by not observing what's is around us. I'll bet you can remember that 10" brown you last caught. I'll also bet you can remember the fly, but how about your position in the stream and the surroundings.

      Delete