Monday, January 18, 2021

"nondescript".....I think not.

One of many streams I have crossed in my lifetime. It may look like just an ordinary regular stream we come across when going about our daily routines. What is a bunch of moss covered boulders, dark tannin stained water and a sound that is not heard anywhere but along it's banks. There is a mystery here and it's different form any other of the hundreds of streams like it. I have encountered  these streams all over the eastern United States from Maine to Virginia from mountain to sea and they all are special. Unique...so my next crossing will be like my first crossing.

I can remember all of my stream crossings though it might take a few moments to recall them. Like a book the mind will highlight those streams when the pages are turned.

 

 

So special to recall such a wonderful creature. A wild jewel, something that has no equal. It need not be "big" to be valuable to both angler and non-angler.
 

Feathers and thread. It's a simple way of describing these flies. The sight highlights the thoughts I have of a warm and green time along that stream...
 

All that is needed here is a moment to look back and reflect what may or may not have happened that day.
 

A cucumber, now that is "nondescript"...well not so. When it's put into a brine with garlic and spices it turns into a Kosher delight.
 

 

13 comments:

  1. Alan,
    A stream is nothing but a ribbon of moving water without it's inhabitants. Add life to that moving water and it becomes something special. It has a spirit. Something alive.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe nicely said. The phrase "stop and smell the flowers" comes into play here.

      Delete
  2. Pretty little stream Alan, about the size of the one I've been fishing this winter with my Tenkara rods. On a Teeny nymph tying kick too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill that stream was flowing nice, and a bit larger then some I fish. My Tiny Ten is on hold with a small issue soon to be resolved. Teeny nymphs, those fly obsessions take hold of us don't they.

      Delete
  3. A lovely place and a great space to lose yourself in. Stay safe, John
    PS, love the food sign off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John doing our part to stay safe. Food it's appeal is universal and without controversy.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Bureboyblog
      Thanks
      I know you enjoy good food as does John...

      Delete
  5. Alan
    I also remember as you do, fishing trips much more than other adventures I have made. You can probably remember the flies that you used to land some of the quality brook trout you've landed.
    What would you relate the White Hackle to in a hatch. What size do you tie these flies in and which size works best for you? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the white flies here are part of the group of Cahill's they are a beautiful mayfly and will usually start hatching in late May early June. They hatch all summer and into September. On the small streams I start fishing them in mid May and the trout really take them with gusto. These flies are tied size 12-14.

      Delete
  6. Those wild brookies are aggressive as they can be, Alan. This past year I caught a number of 3" ones that let me know the last hatch of youngsters had been a good one. One outing I was floating and twitching a muddler minnow and occasionally it would get bumped by a brookie trying to get a bite. One pushed the fly right off the water as the brookie attacked from below.

    That pickle makes me look forward to our garden which is not far off from planting at this point. Bev makes the best pickles which I enjoy greatly.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam
    Thanks
    Sam those young of the year fish are a wonderful sight. You know first hand of these remarkable jewels. When they see what they think is food there is no stopping them from trying to eat it.
    Thoughts of an early planting makes me feel good. Pickles are considered "ho hum" by some, but good pickles will make you change your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planting the garden is still 4 months away, Alan, but this time of year I tell myself that is not far off to hopefully hasten winter into spring, at least in my mind.

      Delete