Monday, January 25, 2021

This and that, and here and there...

Good morning folks. I hope your New Year is better then your last year. I'm a pretty frugal individual. I'm a person who likes a bargain that's genuine. It's not a bargain if it's crap if you know what I mean. While shopping at the grocery store I saw a package of blueberry muffins that were going out of code. These are not bad but are a bit on the stale side. I bought them and split them, buttered a fry pan and grilled them. They were totally awesome. Our breakfast this morning.
 

 

Maybe you have been wondering why I have not posted much about my Tiny Ten. Well that is because I broke it. While fishing it I got hung up on the bottom, attempting to free the fly I broke a section. I notified Sam Kates told him of the issue and he promptly sent me a replacement section. That my friends is service. While Sam's company is small his customer service in great.


Here is a stream that is perfect for the Tiny Ten. Yesterday while walking in the woods we gazed into the pool just ahead of the tree. There we saw 3 beautiful brookies soaking up the sun. I will get back there soon.


Great fly that has been working well .... Partridge and Green...that green silk body takes on a different shade when wet.... Notice the Tiny Ten rod is lying in the photo. Trout Flies and Flowers.


15 comments:

  1. I'm kind of ham fisted and I've broken two Tenkara rods. One on a bush and one putting on a new line. Actually for as much as I use them that's not bad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill I to at times tend to get a little rough. But this one seemed not to be the case. Could have been a weak spot. I thought the cold may have played a part, making the rod fragile, but Sam said that was not an issue.

      Delete
    2. Be careful of scratches. That really weakens them. A soft rod sock is good. Sam's parts are reasonable luckily.

      Delete
    3. Bill, scratches are almost unavoidable where I fish.
      Sam has not charged me. He say's the rod is covered against breakage, excluding stupid acts like car doors etc.

      Delete
  2. Grilled blueberry muffins! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan
    Blueberry muffins are better than some of the cereals I've been eating, got to give them a try. The Tiny Ten must have a lifetime warranty? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill better perhaps but they are a welcomed change. Bill I love blueberries in my morning oatmeal.
      I believe there is providing it's a manufacturers cause.

      Delete
  4. Morning Alan. I will definitely try the toasted Blueberry Muffin. Some that you get are somewhat stale and toasting them seems to be a good answer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I look for those muffins that are going out of code and are marked down. They are perfect for toasting, the heat and butter bring them back.

      Delete
  5. Nice partridge and green, silk thread’s properties when wet an important factor. Have you tried the Morus silks, pricey but I do think an exact duplicate of the now defunct Pearsall’s. But even Robert Smith says Pearsall’s not required for spiders. Morus has a US distributor, no financial interest.

    https://www.gunpowdercustomtackle.com/silk-threads

    And speaking of all things North Country nice work on the Chickabou Streamers Alistair!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin I love silk thread. There are times, not often though when I'll wax the thread and see a remarkable change in it's color.
      I have not tried Morus silks. I have a decent supply of Pearsalls, plus YLI which is awesome and now to the list is Ephemera. Do you have a preference?

      Delete
  6. Do you ever tie very small soft hackles where the hackle is too big. Have you done an article on this? Or could you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown
      Thanks
      Most of the soft hackles I tie and fish are 12 and 14. I will at times tie 16's. I will post a method I use when I have some large feathers and want to use them on smaller flies. I'm assuming you buy feathers that are loose instead of buying them on the skin?

      Delete
    2. Was looking at tying some midge patterns. 18 or 20.

      Delete