Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Yellow Flowers and Orange Flies

Very early in my days of hunting I took up my shotgun and walked the woods and fields with endless energy and anticipation. Many of the upland birds I was in search of took me to some pretty nice areas. The places I wandered were either state owned or leased and access was never an issue. Most times I was able to find those upland birds but the harvesting of them was not always a success. One of the side bars of hunting was my ability to find some beautiful streams. At the time I was not the fly angler I am today but the memory of these streams stayed with me. Over the last eighteen months I have visited several of these streams of my younger days. And this is a stream I fished recently. 

It is hard for me to tell if the stream is in good shape because I can't compare it, not having fished it. But it looks to be in awesome condition. I started here and found that it was an easy stream to fish, quite open and fairly comfortable to walk. I was armed with a couple of flies that I wanted to try and hoped they worked as well as they did in my mind when I was tying them.
 

 

It did not take long. Several casts and that orange fly got the attention of this brookie.
 

A "Trout Lilly" was the resting place for the orange fly. The thread is Veevus hot orange. It was given to me by a  follower of SSR's The thread is great. That thread body along with a few wraps of hackle is all that is required to bring several brookies to hand.
 

This brookie actually surprised me. It was the largest of the day. I am going to try to get an underwater shot of just how the hackle moves in the currents, it's remarkable.
 

"Orecchiette" with broccoli and salmon.
 

18 comments:

  1. Alan,
    Nice looking stream. Happy to see you found brookies there.
    I suspect you will be back.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe I am going back. There are some issues there that i don't like, such as rattlesnakes. So while it's still cool is when I'll have to fish it.

      Delete
  2. So many beautiful streams in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I am fortunate in that. We also have some excellent warm water streams that are great.

      Delete
  3. That big brookie doesn't look like he's missed many meals. Beautiful condition. Speaking of meals, lunch looks mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike normally those streams produce the little guys, but you never know.

      Delete
  4. Alan
    I could see the use of the Tiny Ten here for this stream. What species of Upland Birds were you hunting? I still have fond memories of hunting Quail in my younger days. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the Tiny Ten is perfect for that stream. Bill the state stocks pheasants in that area. Also there were ruffed grouse there. I love hunting quail. We have a small population here in CT, but I hunted them in PA. and RI...

      Delete
  5. That is a gorgeous run! Looks like our kind of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan Camp
      Thanks
      Nate you and the little one would like it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan,

    That is a really nice brook there and that last brookiw is a solid fish......

    I am hoping to visit a stream of my youth myself this weekend - one I have not set foot upon in over 20 years.

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Wow 20 years. I'll bet it's going to be a bit different then it was back then. I hope it proves to be what you expect.

      Delete
  7. Alan,
    Wow! What a wonderful post as always! Your patterns are to die for! So lifelike and supremely delicate!
    I am still in utter amazement at the beautiful water you have in your state! I have noticed that though they have many textures, they all have a distinctive "look" about them that is unmistakable! They always look fishy and fishable!
    We have been blessed with ample rain and relatively clear water which makes for lighter tippets and fine fishing! It is definitely going to be a better year for all of us!
    Doug in the Den

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug this one was a real treat to fish as far as access goes. No briars means no bleeding. We had a very beneficial rainfall yesterday and now it's snowing...happy is New England.

      Delete
  8. Great pics of those brookies. I like your thinking on matching the hatch, as in the flower hatch in springtime, yellows, oranges and purples. Beautiful, headed out this weekend and will try to tie a couple hot orange spiders to try! Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin with the beauty of spring bursting all around it only seems right to match it with your feathered offerings. Hot orange was a favored color of Fran Betters. Good luck this weekend.

      Delete
  9. How I loved to chase ruffed grouse back in the day, Alan. I remember one covert in particular that I could walk to from our house as a youngster. I had to walk through a part of my neighborhood with unloaded shotgun on my shoulder to get to it, and no one batted an eye about it that I know of. Ruffed grouse, woodcock and an occasional pheasant would cross my path and most likely made their escape with my poor wing shooting amongst the thick cover. A small shallow stream flowed through the place I hunted and occasionally I would scatter fish in it. I figured at the time they were minnows, but I bet they were brookies.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam in my youth I can remember a time or two when I observed hunters carrying shotguns on city buses. It was different then. Those grouse coverts of yesterday have long gone. Now a woodcock flush is accepted as a good day in the uplands. And those streams you speak of the fish were probably dace, but a brookie or two may have been in the mix.

      Delete