Monday, July 26, 2021

A Special Place...

I have been fishing this stream for over twenty years. In those years I have witnessed many changes to the structure and to the brook trout who inhabit the stream. In the twenty years I have fished it with a few close fishing friends who have kept it's location secret. And with very few exceptions I have never seen it fished by others. I have some fond memories here, not only of the brook trout but of the fine folks who live near. One in particular was an elderly lady which I found out to be in her 80's told me of the times when she would drive her husband downstream to a location where she would drop him off and he would fish the stream back up to a point where she would pick him up. I asked her how long that was and she said she had it timed by the food she gave him to take with him while fishing. A peanut butter sandwich, some cookies, and a bottle of water. She showed me places along the stream that her husband marked that were productive spots for him. Little circles of small stones placed in different ways marked the locations.

The stream photo is a place that I love. It did not always look like this. Years ago during a strong ice run off the road was washed away. The following spring the state took to repairing the road and bridge. In that process they replaced the culverts with fish friendly ones that allowed the brook trout upstream movement. The series of pools and runs you see most always hold brook trout and on the first cast I had better be ready. It  is a special place and at a time in life as now even more so.


 

This beautiful hen came from that spot near the slick pool. She was in the fast water and could not resist a yellow hornberg.
 

 

14 comments:

  1. Lovely stream and Brookie Alan. Looks like a perfect place for your 5' glass rods or the Tiny Ten 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill both rods have worked very well on that stream.

      Delete
  2. Places like that always bring a little calm into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark they sure do. And my life always welcomes calm.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a beautiful stream that is flowing well in the middle of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn normally in late July it looks different. The rains have helped tremendously. It is autumn when the brookies in that stream really show off.

      Delete
  4. Great! I look forward to seeing some photos in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan
    I think that streams like this one will continue to produce colorful trout; because most all the trout caught are released to fight another day which is the way it should be. I wish the same rule applied to the Sipsey, Elk, and Caney Fork where I trout fish. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the catch and release concept does not have to be law. The angler can practice it just the same. The idea of keeping all that we catch is not good.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan

    I don't have any one special stream, for me they are like kids (they all have good and not so good attributes but you love them all the same). However, each stream I fish regularly does have its special pool or stretch which I favour above all the other ones on that water.

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair perhaps I should have said that "all" streams are special, but this one is above that. They are the same but they are also unique. Man do I love fly fishing...

      Delete
  7. Alan, A stream of memories indeed. Lovely place and post. All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John those memories are in the vault and will be called upon at a later time.

      Delete
  8. Alan
    I never miss your blog, brings back memories of when I was young enough to scramble the creek banks.
    twistedtippet

    ReplyDelete