Monday, July 12, 2021

Rain, wet flies and being happy.

An explosion that's how I would sum up what's happened over  the last week or so. We have experienced a great deal of rain and that moisture has made the woodlands and streams blossom. Time spent outdoors has given me a great deal to be thankful for. One of the streams I fish has been expanded, in some ways over its banks. The heavy flows have put the natives right on the bottom just sort of hanging on. A stream born wild trout has the ability to find those places to survive high water something a stocked trout can't do. Fly selection with high water is anyone's guess,  I suppose a weighted nymph like a Copper John would be a good choice but then maybe a large hopper or a Stimulator. I selected a soft hackle and a wet fly.
 

 

Fishing those soft pockets proved to be the right area to find the brookies. They were aggressive and many  strikes were had. I had problems hooking the fish and also lost many after a few moments of battle.
 

I did manage a few to hand and found that they were in great condition.
 

I love colorful flies as much as the brookies. Here are a few of Jeanette's recommendations. Which color worked best?
 

I continued working downstream finding places where I could a place to cast. The banks were quite muddy and caution was needed. Most of the pockets behind the large boulders held a brookie.
 

They would chase the fly for a second or two and now and then one would grab the fly. The Professor was the fly that got high marks. The little wet fly which was a favorite of O. Warren Smith and now a favorite of mine also. Smith is the author of One Mans River and Trout Lore.

Oh look it's raining again...
 

 

13 comments:

  1. Alan,
    Rain this time of year is such a blessing. Even when it is a bit much and messes up your summer plans. Good to see such healthy fish. Thanks for sharing.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe those folks with outdoor plans had a rough week in the northeast. But the brookies probably had one of their best weeks.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alan yesterday I fished a familiar stream. Waist deep water with a wonderful flow made it a joy! The same water a year ago was barely over my ankles with the occasional “deep” hole to my knee. No current to speak of and I can’t believe the Blue Heron didn’t eat every last fish in the stream. There does seem to be a population decline since last year’s drought but if the water levels hold I hope it will set up a big spawn in the autumn. A #12 Starling Tip winged wet and #16 hare’s ear worked well for me in the riffles though I never did solve the riddle of the deeper water where I’m sure the larger fish were holding. Probably just not getting deep enough. I hooked 10 with 3 making it to hand. A great way to spend a summer morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean F
      Thanks
      Dean your right on the slight decline in brook trout populations. Again some streams fared decent and others not so well. One of my observations I've noticed is the abundance of smaller fish. These brookies range in size from 3 to 5"...a good sign for the future.
      You had a great day, your fly selection was in the ball park.

      Delete
  3. It was amazing to see streams go from roiling floods that could move rocks and logs on Friday back to healthy flows with reasonable clarity on Sunday. Yesterday, I found brookies that came to the surface for an ausable bomber and others in the depths willing to take a wooly bugger. Fallfish and sunfish in a different stream fell for soft hackles. It is great to see all of this water in July. I will look into The Professor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn your mention of the force of the high water flows is dead on. I mean some huge logs were moved. The surface activity has been absent for me, but I'm certain it will pickup again. Two good choices in the flies used. The Professor has saved the day for me several times.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad someone is getting some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark i know you guys are going through hell out there. I sure hope it turns around.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Any fly with red or orange is always an attractor and one of my favors. Plenty of rain should shore up the brook population there. Beautiful images of those streams. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill those are good colors without question. On that day the green one dominated...perhaps because of the many green inch worms that were washed into the streams.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan

    The green or one of the orange ones would have been my choices for flies on those streams. Good to see you out enjoy the fruits of those (not so) thin blue lines.

    I am up in Scotland with work and no time to fish. Can't wait for my summer break next month when I hope to have some sustained periods on various streams and rivers!

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair both god choices. And the over flowing thin blue lines should be in perfect condition today. Break time away from work is a pleasure especially when fishing is a part of it.

      Delete
  7. We need to send some of this water out west, just returned from annual father-sons flyfishing adventure to the Henry’s Fork (bucket list, check) where it was hot, dry and paradoxically high water due to dam releases into the river in order to bring aqua to the future french fries downstream. I did fish the Ranch and it is challenging fishing, all dries please (although my spinner “damp fly”tied with soft hackle was popular) and casting to rising fish only is the theme, but the only time the fish showed themselves was towards dusk. Would go back, but right when Ranch opens in June would be the right move. And check the snow pack in March when you book it.

    ReplyDelete