Thursday, February 16, 2012

A 6000 Mile Fly, and Connecticut Brook Trout

Satoshi's parachute fly.


Several years ago I had the pleasure of doing a fly swap with a fly fisher in Japan. Satoshi is a very good angler and fly tyer. He sent me several flies of two patterns. One was a thorax dun, and the other a Royal Coachman Parachute. Over the years I have fished them both but the parachute far out fished the other.
Now I am down to just two of those parachutes, the others are lining the banks and trees along several trout streams.
Not wanting to loose the remaining flies, I wish to keep them for my collection, I attempted to tie the pattern myself. While it's close to Satoshi's it's not the same. He is much better at wrapping and tying the hackle




My attempt at creating Satoshi's fly


Well yesterday I spent a few hours on a small wild trout stream. I was armed with the RC parachute. The stream was ever so clear, but with a mixture of clouds I was able to move without spooking every fish. As that fly did it's drifting, it brought the trout to the surface. There were many many takes and I even managed a few to hand.
As the day ended I was to leave with my one fly. It had not succumbed to the streams defenses but it lost some of the magic material the peacock herl.



I love these guys. They love the Royal Coachman Parachute.

28 comments:

  1. Satoshi put quite a end in that RCA parachute. Does it ride better in the surface film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary,
      Thanks.
      I imagine it does. And the fish get a good view.

      Delete
  2. Some tiers just have a magic that I've never been able to equal. Satoshi seems to be one of those people.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice looking reproduction on our part...both flies look magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      Thanks.
      I tried, but mine still needs fine tuning. The fish didn't mind though.

      Delete
  4. That is one fine parachute. I like the style in which it is tied. Yours looks like a winner too. The trout is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Tight Lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trout MaGee,
      Thanks.
      That hackle is tough to tie on those parachutes, but he has it mastered.

      Delete
  5. I think you did a great job on the fly, and the trout give it a thumbs up. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brk Trt,
    Satoshi's parachute is one of the best i've seen. Dry flies are my favorites to use regardless if its a Parachute, Wulff or others. I think if I was a wild brookie, i'd go for that RCP that Satoshi tyed as well. Not a bad job tying a RCP yourself either!
    By the way, nice Brookies......DRYFLYGUY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY,
      Thanks.
      I'm in agreement with you on fishing dry flies. It's great to see a trout rise and take the fly on the surface.

      Delete
  7. Not another pattern to tie! It never ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RKM,
      Thanks.
      That fly box of yours must have "All" of the right patterns needed for fooling small stream wild trout, especially "Brookies"

      Delete
  8. The brookies approved of your version.
    That's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G Lech,
      I was happy for that.
      I love those guys.

      Delete
  9. If your looking for small stream brookies and you're using any type of Royal Coachman pattern you can't go wrong. Beautiful brookies and nice job tying Satoshi's flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      The original "Royal Coachman" the classic was designed I believe for the classic Brook Trout.

      Delete
  10. Brk
    You can't beat the beauty of the brook trout. You should put one on canvas. The P-adams has always been one of favorite dries. The Japan Royal Coachmen has some of the characteristics of the standard P-adams but the Japan version you have is way beyond the original, outstanding pattern--by the way love the looks of the stream you was fishing. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      If you want to see beautiful paintings of brook trout see Joel at "AYearOnTheFly", he's the best.
      The "Adams" parachute is one of my favorites too. It has taken fish every where it's fished.

      Delete
  11. One things for sure... Brook trout love any royalty! Nice ties and looked like a fun day on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny Utah,
      Thanks.
      Your right about that. They also like quite a few of the patterns you drift over them.

      Delete
  12. Lovely fly and likewise counts for the brook trouts in the pictures. What a wonderful stream! I'm longing so for the spring when i can do some fly fishing again.

    Have fun with those beautiful brookies,
    M.O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jassid Man,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate that.
      It won't be long for you my friend.

      Delete
  13. More magic from your tying bench Brk Trt..good going

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alright, I'm moved! And curious.Tomorrow I'll try for Feb. freestone brookies with a dry fly. My winter patterns have always been deep-drifting streamers & nymphs. Thanks for shifting my horizons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. walt franklin,
      Thanks.
      Way to go. I would love to know how you make out.

      Delete