Saturday, May 3, 2014

"unpretentious"

Every year about this time I am reminded of a article by Datus Proper printed in Fish and Fly magazine called "Real Fishing". The article go's on to tell of the fishing for wild brook trout in the Shenandoah National Park in the Spring. Mr. Proper also said, in regard to the wild brook trout, calling them "authentic trout"...natives, no additives or preservatives.

This post of mine also adds to his thoughts and compliments of such angling for this true eastern native. Last Sunday I spent a few hours of real fishing along a lovely waterway here in Connecticut.


The "Trillium". This is the first sighting of this Spring beauty. Seeing this in bloom means "dry fly season" is officially here.


A small stream flows. This is where most brook trout live now in the east. The larger waters have been given to the brown and rainbow. But that's OK the brookie is doing just fine here and so am I.


The wild eastern brook trout. I will add my own name to this jewel.....I shall call him the "unpretentious trout" for that is what he and all that surrounds him is.


CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

28 comments:

  1. Lovely post Alan! It's nice to see the tritium starting to appear. The simplicity of fishing for these beautifully wild fish is what draws many of us to them and where they live. We all need some "unpretentious"-ness in this often artificial world we live in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      The beauty that is the small stream......it can be very refreshing.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. flyfisher1000,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate the comment Dave.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz,
      Thanks.
      Connecticut today, all of New England tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Unpretentious trout... I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Real fishing Alan, from the wild brook trout to the beautiful trillium, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brian,
      Thanks.
      I wish you could read his complete article. Indeed a great one.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    Excellent interpretation of what this real beauty is really like. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Bill like I commented to Brian, I wish I could make the article available. I know you would love it.

      Delete
  7. Simply put, another reason to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard,
      Thanks.
      Very true my friend. We all should simplify some.

      Delete
  8. And now you mention Datus Proper. Are we long lost relations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ssj,
      Thanks.
      Mr. Proper knew the trout. And that could be.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. John Wooldridge,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate your comment buddy.

      Delete
  10. Could not agree more. Great photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A real trout from a real stream - nice. All the trout in Australia are imports. Thats why I fish in the surf!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stewart M.
      Thanks.
      I know there's wild fish there. Welcome.

      Delete
  12. I always enjoy strting off my Monday checking out your latest adventure , kind of puts things in perspective for the rest of the day.
    Good stuff as always...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher.
      Thanks.
      Trying to bring sanity to our crazy world.

      Delete
  13. From a smallstreamer from California, all I can say is ahhhhhh, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flykuni,
      Thanks.
      Welcome fellow small stream addict.

      Delete