Friday, April 7, 2017

Browns, A Brookie, A Little Rod, And A Beat To Hell Fly

Last Sunday Kirk and I fished a stream, I wrote about it Monday or Tuesday. Well we had a so so day as far as hook-ups and fish to hand. There was some talk that the stream may suffered more from the drought of last year then we first had thought. Well hold on.

When we left the stream Sunday I had on a Hornberg, which is the fly that I fished and caught the only fish of that outing on. After a late doctors appointment I was able to get out on that same stream Wednesday afternoon. I tossed that Hornberg into the current and was greeted by a swift strike, and just as swiftly I lost the fish. A few more casts and another strike. A brief dispute and I soon had a beautiful wild brook trout at hand.


Brook trout are in this stream but not real common catches. This one was in prime condition.


A bit further downstream I crossed paths with this feisty brown.


He to took the Hornberg.


The stream in places has some tricky water, in that the currents are tough to get a fly to work properly. If I waders it may have been easier to work the fly. Well the fly was out and the current swirled and pulled it about. As I lifted the rod I felt the fish. Soon the rod bent and the fish ran, then leaped. I was able to gain control and managed to get him close.


As he lay in the stream I admired him, both for his size and for his determination to survive. The photo was taken with him still in the water. I removed the fly and off he went.

I would like to comment on the little Cane and Silk fiberglass rod. The 4'10" 2wt did a fine job. I love this small stream wonder.








22 comments:

  1. Alan, your title just about sums it up. Great looking water Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph Long
      Thanks
      Ralph you know it does...love that little stream.

      Delete
  2. The old classic Hornberg adds another memory to it's long list of memories...........

    That is a beautiful Brown and photo well taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel_Fly Tyin Times
      Thanks
      Mel, the "oldies but goodies" still have it.

      Delete
  3. That is a solid wild brown you have there!! I bet he put a bend in that rod!! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete man did that guy fight. The rod performed great.
      Lots of soft flex in it.

      Delete
  4. Very nice Alan! That last brown is a hefty small stream brown for sure and I bet it quite a bend in that little rod. I am looking forward to getting out tomorrow! It's been too long for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark both the brown and the rod were admirable.
      See you in the AM.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a nice brown for that stream. We've had a lot of rain around here, which is keeping the water levels high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TroutAndFly
      Thanks
      Yes my friend every once and awhile a good sized brown shows itself. Rain is good, we need it and as long as there is no serious flooding I'm happy. I know it may make for some bothersome angling but we can deal with it.

      Delete
  6. Just when I thought I might be able to do a little fly fishing once the season opens, we get another two feet of snow in the high country. I love those little creeks you fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I see on TV you guys are getting hammered.
      Those little creeks are a joy to fish. You must have a few in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  7. The hornberg is a great fly fished both wet and dry. Good look stream. Thanks for sharing.

    Chris MaineFly207

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Chris your so right on the versatility of the Hornberg. I've said many times that the Hornberg should be the official fly of the State of Maine.
      It has given me many fine memories.

      Delete
  8. Alan
    What a great fly rod to pair with this stream and the trout you brought to hand---congrats a successful outing---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill they all work well together, the rod is sensitive and responsive, great for small streams.

      Delete
  9. I'm going to have to live vicariously through your pictures as catching a trout on a Hornberg is not something I'm not familiar with. Kudos to you for being able to bring the magic to that fly; I certainly can't. Love that water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike, I really think you should give the Hornberg a try, if you are in an area where trout live. Faith my good man, and you'll be rewarded.

      Delete
  10. As bad as the drought last summer was, Alan, it is great news it is still alive with trout, both brook and brown. That brown is a real dandy! Beautiful red spots on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam each time I visit a stream I'm amazed how well these fish have done. SURVIVORS indeed.

      Delete
  11. I just may get out and give a Hornberg or two a try the first of the week. Nice looking set-up and trout Alan..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman
      Thanks
      Mike the Hornberg is a favorite in Maine. Great fly.

      Delete