Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Story Of Summer, Parker, Mothergoose, And A Hermit

The Connecticut Coast
Summer has been in full swing in these parts. My fishing has been limited to a few hours in the morning and the times when I'm not about the streams our time is spent with Parker our grand-dog. Parker is here for a couple of weeks while his first family is away on vacation. But he's not missing them for his time here has been dog paradise. Walking , swimming and home cooked meals. Today we may even get in a hot dog roast along some waterway.



We have had an awful bout with gypsy moths. The eastern part of the state taking the brunt. Some of the trees have been totally defoliated and that is a problem especially for the brook trout who's streams have now lost there leaf cover. This may cause the streams to run warmer. I was encouraged when I saw this the other day. The trees are starting to regenerate. Young leaves have started to grow and show up on many of the trees. Thank you.


Mothergoose Liverwurst. Man do I have a history with this culinary delight. The original maker of Mothergoose which was Tobin Packing Co. went out of business years ago but sold their recipe to another company. The product is the same. Is this stuff good. Sliced and spread on crackers, or in a sandwich it is so good. My favorite is to take a thick slice of liverwurst, along with a equal slice of raw onion and place it on a piece of rye bread, or raisin bread which is the way my brother Richard ate it.


The North Pond Hermit....I picked up this book one night and read it cover to cover. It is well worth the read. Twenty seven years in the woods.









15 comments:

  1. Hi Alan, I too love liverwurst. Were it not for its hi cholesterol, I would eat it every day. In my family it kinda falls into the same category as scrapple. I'm the only one who eats it. Nessmuk wrote a book on camping and outdoor lore, many years ago. He points out most people back then had no clue with disastrous results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John it is not the best stuff on earth to consume, and that's why I only allow myself a snack once or twice a year.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see the trees producing leaves again! I've never seen as much damage as we had this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark I really felt good when I observed these trees getting their leaves back. It has been a bad year in the east.

      Delete
  3. Wow Alan, the good, the bad and the ugly all in one post! There's no substitute for the fun you can have with someone else's dog. It's nice to hear that mother nature is restoring your trees and the liverwurst speaks for itself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard it's like grand kids..spoil them and send them home. Parker is king around here. Nature again showing it's will to comeback.

      Delete
  4. Liverwurst, haven't had any since my dad died. He too, was a big Liverwurst fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark it's good once or twice a year.

      Delete
  5. Liverwurst takes me back to the 17 years I spent based in Germany when in the army...lol, happy days indeed, however bratwurst and curry wurst were by far my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      Wow being stationed in Germany you must have had access to the real thing. I'm a fan of bratwurst too.

      Delete
    2. Alan spent 17 years based in Germany in the 80s & 90s, of my 24 years military service, Oh the real deal is lovely but I have to admit Curry wurst, Jagerschnitzel and Bratwurst were my favourites and filled my appetite on many a night out.

      Delete
  6. Gypsy moths have done plenty of damage in our area as well, Alan. Some are still flying around and the trout like them when they hit the water. I had good action last night with elk hair caddis fly when I flattened the wing with the dry fly floatant to make it look like a moth wing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam good to hear of your fishing success. I could see a big say size 12 EH caddis passing for a moth.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    Does the state try to help with moth problem? Have you tried the Liverwurst lightly grilled? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I don't think there was an effort to spray to control these heavy eaters. I hope this will be the last cycle of them.
      I have never grilled liverwurst.

      Delete