Monday, July 24, 2017

A Summer Morning, Well Worth The Effort

Yesterday morning's forecast called for cloudy skies giving way to some breaks of sun. With that info I felt I had a few hours of good fishing and be back at home before eleven. As I was driving to the stream I felt pretty good about my chances of finding some willing natives. I geared up and was on the water in very short order. Fishing the little pockets I managed to bring several guys to the surface but without a hookup. About a half hour in the stream the sun broke out and the stream was lit up like a Broadway play. I continued to fish trying to find some shady areas but not a single taker.



I had a choice, leave and go home or fish and enjoy the beauty which abounds the streams this time of year....I chose the latter and what a beautiful choice it was.


Renewing, I wondered where these seeds would land.


I tell you I fished every likely looking spot. I came to this place, the water was flowing and causing a thin riffle. It then broke into a deep pool that had some pretty good sized sunken logs. There was some shade along with a slight whirlpool. I cast my fly and let it drift, it hung up slightly on the gravel of the riffle. I pulled it to free it and a brookie darted for the fly. No hookup.


The next drift found the fly moving toward the log jam. A lightning fast swirl and a solid hookup. The fish was so strong, wanting to get to the log jam and freedom. I was able to convince him to come my way and he finally did. I could not believe the size of this wild native. He was perfect. A couple of photos and off he went. We have another meeting planned for this Autumn.


This is a brook trout fly, a fly that will find and bring to hand. It's a pain to tie but well worth the effort.









20 comments:

  1. Alan
    Awesome brookie!!!!!Gorgeous flowers and wild scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete that brookie was one of the best of this year.

      Delete
  2. Great fish, great post Alan. Amazing sometimes what lives in these little streams. And I love your eye for nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill those little streams will indeed give up a pleasant surprise. I love all that is around a stream almost as much as what's in the stream.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    Gorgeous trout some lighter coloring---great job tying that stunner of a pattern---by the way how is the humidity there--it is a killer here. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill part of his coloring came from the fact it was in the sunlight. The humidity was with us for a time last week but has departed, right now the temp is 60.

      Delete
  4. Taking it all in was the important decision and you made the right choice. What a beautiful fish from a small stream like this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bluegill Bug
      Thanks
      Bill I do make a good choice now and again, I hope I can continue to do so. That fish sure put a smile on my face.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant result Alan, excellent angling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      The result sure proved to be tops.

      Delete
  6. Alan, your brook trout fly, looks a bit beaten which is not a bad thing, at all. I find that very often when a fly gets "manhandled" by the trout, it becomes more not less effective. Nice gentle rain this morning should keep our streams up for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John I love beat up flies, they sort of show that hero look, accomplished.
      Last I heard we have over an inch.

      Delete
  7. That is one fine brook trout my friend. Persistence paid its dividends on the outing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark that stream has given up a few of these, but most times they get off. It was an enjoyable couple of hours.

      Delete
  8. That is ONE beautiful brook trout, Alan. That is a real dandy for around these parts! Well done and congrats.

    More beautiful rain today. This must be one of the best years in quite some time for small streams as far as good flow goes.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam this has been one great summer for rainfall, I hope it continues. Some of my streams are almost double as far as last years.

      Delete
  9. Alan,
    Beautiful photos to start the day! What a great looking (and rather large) brookie! I seems to have a bronze look which is quite appealing! Is it age, water chemistry, a combination of both? Have you seen this on other streams that you fish?
    Full of questions...and delight,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug it's not uncommon to see brookies of this color. They will darken up some as fall approaches. The pic was taken in sunlight also.

      Delete
  10. I can understand why you had a smile on your face, that is a cracking Brookie Alan!!!!! That Cinberg looks like it has done the business there.
    After the heat wake in June reducing our rivers and streams into trickles we now have unseasonably cold and wet weather for July over here in Yorkshire. Yesterday was less than 13 deg C / 54 deg F with a strong NE wind and lots of rain! I went out on Saturday between down pours now that the Leven is back up to normal levels, however it was a bit silty. Even so I managed 8 fish including a juvenile grayling. Hopefully it will clear by the weekend.
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair that Cinberg has accounted for many nice brookies, hence the rather torn up appearance.
      On this side it has been cool and wet which is a blessing after last years weather disaster. A rather nice catch mate.

      Delete