Saturday, November 18, 2017

November Days

These November days can be a tad different, talk about temperature swings. One day it's in the 50's and the next it's the high 30's and the next it's windy and cloudy. Given the chance to go fishing I take it and well the weather will not change for me so what the heck why not go. The streams at this time of year are usually in fine shape and offer some great fishing at certain times. Fly choices are narrowed down and you can fish top, middle or bottom, it's pretty much like that year round so why are the fly choices narrowed down. What I mean is you can choose pretty much the same dry fly all day, or the same wet fly and if you like use the same nymph. Is this my method of fishing November waters "no" but you could.

I like to change flies and types from time to time just to see if a sulphur parachute will work in November as well as it does in June. Perhaps a Partridge and Blue may turn a fish on, and a Mickey Finn this is a must try bucktail in November.


A beautiful brookie from a clear pool.


Several trout were observed in the tail of this run. I spooked them and the vanished up under the bank or the roots. I continued to fish further upstream for awhile and on the way back I approached this run from above. The fly drifted and a fish swirled.


Precious.


Another November issue is ice. It's not everywhere but you had best beware of it.


Saw this little fella the other day. Don't know what he is but I guessed he should not have been where I saw him.









20 comments:

  1. Alan,
    I am still so very impressed with the beauty and clarity of the waters you haunt! And, the brookies aren't bad either!
    Your fly patterns of late are exceptional as well! You give us all something to shoot for!
    From the Den,
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug, I have been deer hunting as of late and the area has a lovely stream running through it, it will be checked out.

      Delete
  2. Yet another great post, Alan. The little fella in question looks like some kind of salamander. Many of these are amphibious, so he's not really out of his element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill that's what I thought when I first saw it. What was strange about him was I didn't see any legs.
      Anyway he'll probably wind up as a meal.

      Delete
  3. Alan, it's always a little hard to know how to dress this time of year because of the temperature swing, but I wouldn't trade this time of year for anything. Brook trout forest is beautiful as always and your photos support that. With thanksgiving being upon us and pa. Deer season it's truely a grand time of year. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bead Basehore,
      Thanks
      Brad I'll be in Penn's woods come opening day. My son and I have been hunting the same place for 30 years, some deer, and a lot of great memories. Can't wait.

      Delete
  4. The water clarity is amazing. My favorite, the first brookie is a jewel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard you wonder how a fish could vanish in such clear water. I kind of like that 1st one also.

      Delete
  5. I envy you your still open season; some of the smaller ponds up here already have an inch or two of ice on them. Can you tell us what the fly is that you used in that first brookie picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike no major ice here yet, luckily the stream temps have been steady.
      That fly is a Ginger Caddis.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    Great post as always. The stream looks nice and clear and the brookies still very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete this morning would be great, warm temps should turn on the bite.

      Delete
  7. Alan
    Was that a beaver dam in the stream? I could see a brook trout rushing out to nail your dry. Do you use a fluorocarbon leader in those clear streams? Stay safe on while fishing this winter------Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill that's not the work of beavers but the work of nature. A few heavy wind and rain events piled up the branches and leaves. I only use fluorocarbon tippet.

      Delete
  8. lovely clear water and cracking marked fish again alan , well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      George I think most of the brookies have done their work for this year. I suspect the colors will start to change.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful brookies, Alan. That stream is another one of your gems. People who didn't fish would never imagine brook trout lived in it.

    Just before dark I checked the little rivulet that feeds into the larger stream, the one I've told you about where the brookies run up to spawn. No sign of the brookies so either they are done and dropped back into the main stream, or up on the hill there some place where the rivulet originates.

    Best,Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam I suspect they have accomplished their task. Sometimes they will hangout for a brief time then return to more friendly waters. It's nice that you check that creek. Have you ever fished it?

      Delete
    2. Alan, I sure have fished the main creek, but not that little spring creek feeding into it. The main creek holds brook trout and last fall I believe I caught a wild brown. Too small for the state to stock them that size in my estimation.

      The main stream would be right up your alley.

      Sam

      Delete
    3. I got your e-mail and yes I would love to check that stream out.

      Delete