Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Simplicity With Some Unusual Results

Foam Body Bee
Last week I posted a fly that featured a unique hook. It featured an up-turned eye. In my attempt to purchase some of these to replace my dwindling stock. My search came up empty. My final search was with E-bay and I came up with a seller. I placed my order and received them Saturday along with a bag of goodies that were given to me at no charge. One of the goodies was a bumble bee body made of foam. I went and tied up one and placed it in the fly box.

With the hooks I tied up a couple of flies featuring Pearsall's silk thread and natural Fox Squirrel fur...these flies are the epitome of simplicity.


This fly has a Pearsall's silk body, the color is a rust-brown, and natural fox squirrel belly hair for a thorax. The movement in the fur also works for legs-wing as an emerger.


This fly features Pearsall's maroon-claret silk thread body. The thorax is natural fox squirrel body hair. These flies produce a lot of movement which produces strikes. The one issue with fox squirrel is that it's tough to work with. If you try to work it to much it will become a glob of hair instead of a spiky buggy looking fly.


I took the three flies out for a couple of hours on Sunday and had a pretty good day. While all three flies produced fine results the bee really surprised me. The brookies hit it hard...bee patterns in late November.


Bill Skilton features these foam bodies and the ant patterns are killers......thanks Bill.








18 comments:

  1. I used to use bee colored panther martins when I fished the sierra's. I was told by the old timers that the trout would go after that color and hit it had because they knew it was a wasp or bee and had to kill it fast. Not sure if there's any truth to that but I'd like to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin Frank
      Thanks
      Kevin now that's a tall tail, but I like it.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of late fall bee attractors. I'm going to have to consider this. Surprising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spike
      Thanks
      I would have never believed that a pattern like this would work now. Again I'm proved wrong.

      Delete
  3. Surprising, but once again the trout know what they like and all that's left for us is surprise. Bill sells some great products. I love his beetles and have tied them for years because they work. Happy Thanksgiving one and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard they sure have surprised me over the years.
      Enjoy that turkey.

      Delete
  4. Alan, that last brook trout sure is colorful. The Skilton foam bee is a mainstay in south central pa. It's a good change of pace from our trout seeing so many beetles. I love the simplicity of the tie and the visibility of the fly on the water. I also tie it with wings just for a different profile. I want to wish you and your family a peaceful and wonderful thanksgiving, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad the man lives in that area and may have a handle as to what trout like, and I'm sure you have experienced what these flies will accomplish in your outings on much of the same rivers.
      Bring on the stuffing and.....

      Delete
  5. Alan
    Last brookie is just gorgeous. Maybe they were just hungry and the bee looked good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete there's no doubt they were hungry. It's nice to see they're still looking up.

      Delete
  6. Alan - I am always amazed at what brook trout will take in the late fall and winter, why not a bumble bee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark that's what makes is so enjoyable fishing for them. It has crossed my mind many times to fish a hook with only thread and see what happens.

      Delete
  7. While we all love trying to get inside a fish's head, discussing theories and tying and such, we also know that small stream brookies can't afford to be very picky. I'm starting to wonder how much imitation of anything has to do with their willingness to eat a fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George S
      Thanks
      George you have made some good points, and I agree.
      But we have a lot of fun trying to make it a science of figuring that they can actually take an artificial fly when they don't want it.

      Delete
  8. Alan
    I've fished a similar bee pattern in warm waters but never on a cold water stream; after reading this post I will have to give it a try come spring. Hope you'll have a great Thanksgiving---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I can honestly say I've never fished a bee pattern before, Well now that's changed.
      Happy Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  9. Alan,

    When is the spawn over normally? How can you tell?

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred NJ
      Thanks
      Fred the spawn takes place here in CT usually in the month of October. That is a generalization. Some of the factors that trigger it are loss of daylight, temperatures, and water flows.

      Delete