Monday, February 19, 2018

Red Dots And Blue Halos...Wow What A Split

Guess what, I saw my first winter stonefly of 2018 on my last outing. He was spotted on a piece of steel, and he was fully aware of my presence. As I focused the camera on him he took off, luckily for me he stopped briefly and gave me the shot.

These few days of February have been kind weather wise. I'm delighted when the temperatures are above 32, for it keeps the ice out of the guides, and may even turn the fish onto eating. The stream was flowing a bit fast, but was shelf ice free. The banks were clear and in spots very soft. The fish were in a lockjaw frame of mind giving only a single hookup in the hour or so of fishing. So when things are slow I like to wander and see what's beyond the next bend, perhaps I should have stayed put.....


As you can see it looks real good, maybe for April, but swift water and few pockets were not going to get it done.


As I moved down to and area that was new to me I saw some incredible sights, one of which was this growth of ferns. The colors were so vibrant, green like spring. Beyond the ferns I could here the water crashing down, and it was loud.


Walking to the edge I could see the stream wildly crashing down. It was a beautiful sight, moss covered rocks, hemlocks, and polished stone. I sat here for awhile taking in the beauty, and figuring how I was going to proceed....caution, caution, and more caution.


I'm proud to say I made it down safely. The pool before me looked good because of the fact that there was a soft spot in the currents that just may hold a fish. As I moved to get a footing to make a cast I stepped onto a bunch of woody debris that had collected near the edge. The wood gave way and I found myself with one leg on the rock and the other in the water. I was stretched to the limit, I mean painfully stretched. I tried to get myself right and after a few tries I was able to bring my rock leg down to meet mt other leg. Leaning back for a few minutes I was able to get stable, and the pain was subsiding. As I looked in front of me I could see that the area ahead was much more angler friendly. Now since I had gone through some hell I said may as well make that cast...I did and I....


Made contact with this beautiful creature. Brilliant colors with lots of red dots and blue halos. I guess the soft hackle looked like a swimming stone fly. I hobbled out and thankfully some pain killers and rest I'm now A-OK.







34 comments:

  1. Alan
    Lets be careful out there!! Beautiful photos of the stream. Flow looks good. Gorgeous spots on the brook trout. Good to ee the stone flies are making an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete I am so careful, I should have known that the clump of sticks was not stable. The stream was a bit high, but super clear. That was the only bug I saw that day.

      Delete
  2. That fern Alan must be an evergreen variety. Not good. It denies us their real purpose "to provide fiddleheads as a Springtime veggie treat". Temps to exceed 70 deg F on Wed. Here come the skunk kapusta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Dornik
      Thanks
      John "fiddleheads" spring for sure. A nice warm-up. I have been thinking of a few streams in the vicinity of your woodstock camp, those stream hold some beautiful "dark" brookies.

      Delete
  3. Taking trips like that are tough on us old guys. Let's be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark, recovery time is a lot longer for us.
      Careful I shall be.

      Delete
  4. The older I get, the less adventurous I have become. There's no cell signal in some of the places I used to frequent, so when I go there now I am extra careful. But it would be worth it for a fish like that one, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill I'm usually pretty cautious. The cell phone even in places I frequent lacks service.
      And if I did not get in trouble perhaps I would not have caught that brookie.
      I don't know if you are familiar with the fly pattern, "Yellowhammer"...well I found at the show I attended Saturday a starling that was dyed yellow, perfect for a substitute for the "Flicker"...looking to tie a few.

      Delete
  5. I was told long ago that pain was nothing but weakness leaving the body. I think in hindsight that he was a fairly twisted individual. Hope you remain feeling OK, and by the way.....nice fish. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph Long
      Thanks
      Ralph I agree with your deduction on pain. That aside I feel good, healing complete.

      Delete
  6. Not a place to get stuck. But the reward was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bureboyblog
      Thanks
      Most times I'll give up some pain for a place and a memory as this.

      Delete
  7. Nice story Alan, and a just reward at the end. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard it was worth it...and I'm now 100%

      Delete
  8. I'm glad your ok. It's always the falls you don't expect that are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin Frank
      Thanks
      Kevin it's hard to prevent some slip-ups, but if we learn from them it may help ease the hurt somewhat.

      Delete
  9. wish you a speedy recovery Alan, take it easy mate and lovely pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George
      Thanks
      George, healed and ready for the stream.

      Delete
  10. Incredibly beautiful photos, Alan. Sorry about the wood pile giving way, but glad you are OK for the most part. Stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam I should have poked the pile first before stepping on it. Lesson learned.

      Delete
  11. Incredible stream Alan, I'll bet that stream a little later in the year is great. Be careful out their. This time of year with all the water volume it definitely gets tricky. Around my necks of the woods the only fishing is spring cheeks and even they are high. Thanks for beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad that stream comes up fast, and it will recede quickly. It generally fishes well as long as there is adequate rains during the year.

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear you are ok, with all the rain and melting snow the stream side rock can be slick for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark that moss can be a "pain" to walk on. Beautiful to look at.

      Delete
  13. That little river, a beck in North Yorkshire, reminds me so much here I started fishing on the family farm. Beautiful, I can almost smell the waterside. Best wishes, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John I'm sure small streams aka "becks" in North Yorkshire have played a part in most of our development as fly fishers. Fine memories have been associated with many.
      Pretty sweet out there.

      Delete
    2. You are not wrong, brown trout and grayling, a huge one would be 1lb 8ozs but as you say the small ones are like living jewels. Meanwhile I keep happy not catching pike! John

      Delete
  14. Alan
    I would say the reward of the colorful brook was worth the stretch. Wild ferns can really light up the forest floor. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bil Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the stretch was forgotten the minute I hooked the brookie...the walk back to the Honda brought it back.
      Those ferns were a wonderful sight on a February day.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the post and pictures Alan. They do brighten up a gray February day! A nice warm up is expected the next couple of day so hopefully you can get out - I will be stuck in the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat it started out gray, but the sun broke out and the brookies went on a feeding frenzy.
      Tomorrow in going to be 70, I'll be out and about.

      Delete
    2. One leg meeting up with the other leg... I feel your pain. My age is starting to stretch me too. Haha

      Delete
    3. The River Damsel
      Thanks
      Emily "predicaments" they seem minor at early times in life but when we reach a certain age they can take on a new intensity. What was good this time was my recovery was quick.

      Delete
  16. Glad to see you're OK... keep after them!

    ReplyDelete