Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Next Best Material, Or Is It Just Fluff

Several years ago while selecting feathers from a partridge skin I noticed the tiny bit of fluff at the base of the feather. The material was like marabou or cdc in that it moved so life like when I blew on it. I started tying many of my soft-hackle flies using a bit of this fluff wound on with the feather.



This is a partridge feather with the soft marabou fibers at the base. While I do use feathers like this, I prefer to take a few more fibers of the marabou off.


Here is the fly with the marabou and partridge tied in. If you look closely you can see the marabou fibers.


These are soft-hackle feathers selected to tie flies with. On the left are grouse feathers, the middle are woodcock and on the right are pheasant. The marabou is clearly visible. The three flies below are tied with these feathers.


Grouse

Woodcock


Pheasant
While these feathers with the marabou don't make a large difference in the overall effectiveness of the fly they do help to get that undecided trout to take the fly. Any extra movement is a plus.










19 comments:

  1. I agree. I use the fluff frequently to enhance my soft hackle flies. Those are some very beautiful flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Davis
      Thanks
      Tom it's crazy to throw it out when it could possibly make a better fly.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alan
    To a trout movement = life = food = survival!
    I often use CDC on my nymphs and bead head to add a bit of life to the fly and have even tried it on a couple of soft hackles as well.
    Thanks
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair Corbishley
      Thanks
      Alistair I've seen CDC used in combination with genetic cock hackle on dry flies...as you said "movement"...

      Delete
  3. Interesting. When I used to tie flies I'd always take that part off and discard it. Never even crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark I did the same. For years I stripped it off when I could have left it and perhaps caught a few more fish.

      Delete
  4. I've tried using it from time to time but I'm never happy with the finished fly. Your flies however are gorgeous. I've had better luck lately using Leisenring's dubbing technique and a spinning block; using it for body material. It's a work in progress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike the key is to use as little of it as possible. I usually only have one or two turns of the fluffy stuff wound on. I've seen tyers use the spinning block and that works well.

      Delete
  5. There are some sharply dressed flies there Alan, very nice indeed. Lovely spiders.
    Kind regards, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      John they're all dressed up and they do have a place to go.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    Great work at the vice--just wondering which feather produces the most movement once submerged? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill most soft-hackle feathers offer good movement in water. If I had only one it would be partridge, and a close second would be starling.

      Delete
  7. Alan,

    Love those soft hackles with a bit of marabou on them. They are sure to entice good action I predict.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam you know every little bit helps. Even the most selective trout find it hard to resist sexy movement.

      Delete
  8. Alan,

    Google seems to have started working for me again instead of fighting with me so maybe I won't be anonymous anymore! Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Two Terriers
      Thanks
      John I congratulate you on your achievement. I know how frustrating computer issues are.

      Delete
  9. Alan, those fibers are definitely usable. I leave it on for a number of patterns also. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph Long
      Thanks
      Jack Gartside used that stuff too. It's does make a difference at times.

      Delete
  10. Alan - I have always discarded the marabou also but I do like the way your flies tied with it look. When you say you remove some of the marabou do you remove consecutive fibers or select fibers (e.g. every other one)?

    ReplyDelete