Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Caddis

Caddis flies...pretty much found everywhere. They are a great food source for trout and when an artificial fly is presented the trout usually take it readily. In a small stream the caddis can bring a trout to the surface any time of the year. The caddis probably has more patterns tied to represent it then any fly. If you have nothing to do for a day or twenty just google caddis and read. I tie a couple of simple caddis patterns which I call "light" and "not so light". These pretty much cover all I need to cover my fishing.


Here's the body of the light. Brown thread, spikey fox squirrel dubbing.....I add a few fibers of wood duck for a wing and then a few wraps of partridge hackle.


The "light caddis"


The caddis that I call "not so light"


The body is yellow thread, with a dubbing of natural fox squirrel. A few fibers of mallard and 2 wraps of natural partridge.


The "not so light caddis"









10 comments:

  1. Those look excessively buggy, Alan ;=) ... betcha they make your little wild brookies go chasing. My best caddis producer is the CDC & Elk as tied by Hans Weilenmann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Shuck
      Thanks
      Bill the combination of spikey dubbing and partridge brings the brookies out from under the banks.
      I'll check out that pattern.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark buddy I appreciate that.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alan,
    Those are spiky looking flies - I can just imagine them looking like sedge / caddis pupae.
    Thanks
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair they are a good likeness to what you mentioned.
      Movement, movement.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flies, as always. I love the names you gave them, so much easier than trying to learn unpronounceable Latin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike simplify, I could not spell the Latin names.
      Your snow melt is being felt down here.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    One awesome pattern, and I hope to give the Caddis patterns you sent me some months back soon on the Sipsey. Rain and generators are keeping the tailrace out of balance. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the caddis is fly that has reputation of being a trout taker. You should do well once you are able to fish.
      Ample rain here as well.

      Delete