Monday, June 17, 2019

Browns, Small Stream Browns, Part 1

Over the last ten days I have been fishing a stream that I'm pretty familiar with, or perhaps I should say familiar with in certain places. There are areas where I don't venture to often because the area is not very angler friendly. Last week I gave it a try and for the most part it was not to bad. Before I go further I want to say this report is really the first of three concerning this stream. The others will follow. The stream is flowing very good and the flows have moved fish in such a manner you'll find them most anywhere. For the most they have been taking sub-surface flies but the bomber has worked also. A fly that I'm fond of called the Picket Pin has been a staple on my last several outings. The fly is actually a wet fly but works on the surface to.



The wild browns have been quite nice. Some holding their color while some have gone sort of silvery. When the light hits that adipose fin it almost looks like it's on fire.


A typical stretch of brown trout water on this stream. A fly drifted anywhere will likely bring a strike.


Ferns and more ferns, this is the gentle part before the nasty outback.


This brown has a silvery look to it. Just a heads up on the next few follow up posts on the browns of this stream. When I got home from here yesterday I tied up three very big streamers.








22 comments:

  1. Alan,
    I'm looking forward to the next posts. It's such a pretty stream as are the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill I hope the last post will highlight something very very special.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alan

    That does look like an inviting small stream.....

    Any particular reason you have decided to explore further?

    Can't wait to see the rest of the water (and some fish!!!) in your next posts.

    Thanks

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair
      Thanks
      Alistair sometimes the feeling of "new" takes over and I have to see what's beyond the next curve. As long as the thorns and mud don't hamper me I like to explore.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fish, Alan. Not having any Browns up this far I never get tired of seeing them when they're that size. Loved the forest and fern picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike I wonder why there are no browns up your way. Seems like they have been naturalized everywhere. There are areas of that stream where ferns really dominate. When they're wet they seem to shine.

      Delete
  4. Love hand-size wild browns. Very nice water! Thanks for sharing Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RalphsFlyBox
      Thanks
      Ralph there's lots of muscle and fight in those compact bodies as you well know.

      Delete
  5. I love wild brookies, but those wild browns are really something too. They all look healthy and well fed this year with the consistent rain fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam brookies are tops, but I think the wild brown is so close. Lots of water and lots of feed washed in, good winter conditions over the last few years have made for great fishing.

      Delete
  6. Always a nice walk through the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark those walks really mend the mind.

      Delete
  7. Nice spots on both of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spike
      Thanks
      Although the picture does not show it well the last browns black spots were so vivid...quite a difference in brown trout from the same stream.

      Delete
  8. Alan,
    Beautiful fish and their enviroments too! Wild brookies and browns...I think you've died and gone to heaven!
    I am loving the look of the hot dog below! I can almost smell it!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug some of the areas are truly heaven, then walk a few hundred feet and man it's hell. Thorns and calf deep mud.
      When I get home I'll take that hot dog.

      Delete
  9. Alan,
    I was not familiar with the Picket Pin until you talked about it in an earlier post. I tied some up for my trip to PA last week and I had great success with them. It worked well on those fish that were not willing to come all the way to the surface. Thanks for sharing.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe that is one of the fine things about the Picket Pin. It can be fished in multiple areas of the stream from surface to almost the bottom.I'm glad you had a enjoyable trip.
      Oh by the way the Picket Pin makes for a great streamer when tied on a longer hook.

      Delete
  10. Alan
    Definitely a difference in color of the two browns.
    I finally get to fish for some wild browns in 7 days. I'm counting and really looking forward to fishing in the Great Smokey Mountains---Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill that's great. Some fine streams in the Smokies and I'm sure you'll connect.

      Delete
  11. Great pictures and I find those orange spots on my local wild browns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat I love the diversity you find in wild brown trout.

      Delete