Saturday, June 1, 2019

Home Sweet Home

Walking along the trail the morning after heavy showers went through. A calm quiet took hold as I moved through the wet hemlock and laurel. The air was cool and still with the sun trying to break through the tree canopy. It was eight o'clock and it seemed as if the creatures of the forest had slept in for I heard not a sound with exception of the stream. The trail was familiar, one that I had walked many times over the years. Stopping for a few moments I said to myself "it's good to be home"....The little stream is what I consider to be my home waters. It's a stream I have fished for over 20 years and have always been rewarded for doing so in many ways.



Clear cool water flowing into a nice pool. A small cobble bottom and a strong hemlock looking over. A fly drifted and worked through it has got to be eaten.


And it was. The first wild jewel of the day.


The forest is lush and so green. A pleasure to see.


A pool I am so familiar with. I can always be certain that a brookie will be sitting right where I drop my fly, that doesn't mean that I'll catch him....


...on this day I did. What a pleasure it is to hold one of these.


A bit to thick to fish, but a great spot to observe. I saw a water snake moving upstream in search of a meal.


The last brookie of the day and a gorgeous one at that....One fly was used today, can you guess what it was?


Walking back to the car I had a feeling of peace that I can't put into words...I hope you all will experience that feeling soon.












18 comments:

  1. Alan,
    I can see why this is one of your favorite places. Just beautiful!
    Great photos. I can almost smell the smells and feel the cool air.
    Thanks for sharing.
    "Not all of fishing is to catch fish" OWS
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Joe it has been on the top of my list for so many years. A couple of bad drought years and it overcame them. I think the worse came from the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy.
      Great words from OWS

      Delete
  2. Lovely pics Alan but I must confess that all I can see is skeeters in those woods. Must be the Wisconsin boy in me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill the skeeters were there but under control by way of Deep Woods Off.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a blast, Alan. Picket Pin? Thought I saw one in a brookies mouth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will I'll post the answer in a day or so.

      Delete
  4. Can't beat that peaceful feeling, Alan. What a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam peace and solitude. Only saw one person and she was walking a dog.

      Delete
  5. The guys above have said it all Alan. One could just sit in that setting and be calm. Beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark a few hours there and your mind is refreshed and so clear.

      Delete
  6. The color patterns on those fish were really beautiful, so vibrant. My guess for the fly of the day: Ausable Bomber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike that stream has produced many beautiful trout over the years. It has been a stable stream and watershed.
      Fly answer in a day or so.

      Delete
  7. That's a wonderful place Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MarkW
      Thanks
      Mark you for one can attest to that.

      Delete
  8. Great pictures and I fully understand your feelings about that brook. I will also guess the Ausable Bomber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJpatbee
      Thanks
      Pat that stream is a real gem in so many ways.

      Delete
  9. The fly used was the "Picket Pin"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan
    Trips like this one can only be summed up in one "relaxing" , thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete