Saturday, March 6, 2021

"Images"...why do some have such staying power?

For me as an angler I have fished many places. Streams, rivers ,lakes etc. Thousands of fish from trout to bluegills. And I will tell you this I can remember most of it. It may take some serious thought but it will all come back. Along with all that goes along with fishing , flies, food, rods, people, and so on there are certain images that "stick" out front and center. I can't explain why but I can say it is true as far as I'm concerned. The stream you see pictured is one I have fished more than any in my time. The little run you see has given me more brook trout to hand and I could not remember one being better then another.

 

 

A soft hackle wet fly. Nothing special here. It is about as simple a fly as I have ever tied. I can't remember if it has ever produced a memorable trout for me., but it has remained in my fly box and as my screen saver for over 10 years.
 

I fished this stream once with Rowan. It has placed itself as one of the best streams in Connecticut that I have fished. Why is this?
 

An image of my home waters. Late fall and decked out in all it's glory.
 

Just an average brook trout. Average in that it's wild, average in that it's daily life is a struggle beyond belief. Average in that it provides much more then a challenge. It is truly a "canary in a coal mine"
 

This wee brown trout. He is a companion in the streams with the brook trout. Some say that's bad, they can't coexist. From my knowledge I say that's not true. "University of Experience" graduate.
 

Many more evenings planning.....
 

An image that is years old, but I remember like it was yesterday. The gent fishing has given me more knowledge then any book I have read.
 

Here's an image that I'll reproduce today for lunch.
 

 

12 comments:

  1. 'University of Experience' graduate; I like that. Fantastic post, Alan. So much said in so few words. I love the fall shot! ...I like your lunch, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike I'm still is school. The lunch is actually strips of venison floured and fried with peppers and onions.

      Delete
  2. Alan,
    Wonderful post. Many of my own memories have been stirred. Thanks for sharing.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe old photos can bring back good times. I have an email from brother Mike that should be a pleasure to read.

      Delete
  3. All fantastic pics Alan, but the river through the fallen forest tops my list. Funny thing about my memory, I tend to remember places, incidents, and even people better if I take a photo. Even without ever looking at the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dead fisher
      Thanks
      A photo can be so enlightening. It highlights things that the taker never thought it would.

      Delete
  4. Nice stream Alan. The weather here has been great and we did well yesterday. I need to start carrying a camera one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill we are in a cold stretch, but come mid week they say 60+...should wake them up.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure that everyone that follows your blog can recall most of the experiences they have experienced fishing. I know I can. Even as far back as the first time I picked up my fathers fly rod and caught that little Bass, in that little stream, in the hills behind Big Bear Lake in Southern California. Little did I know what the one experience, kept in the back of my mind, would shape my fly fishing in the future. That memory is always there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Mark memories live on. It may take a little prodding to bring them around. That bass on a fly is just one of many for you I'm sure.

      Delete
  6. Alan,
    As if the images you have posted of the fine woods and waters were not enough, you ended this post with a most delicious looking sandwich! You are sooo blessed!
    I am constantly amazed at the endless places to fish in your great state and the beauty in each and every one of them! Thank you so very much for sharing all of this with us!
    Doug in the Den

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug Connecticut has some outstanding places to fish. Most everyone can find his favorite fish and have a great time fishing. Bringing these places and fish to the readers is an easy assignment when you love what your doing.
      Going to get a warmup in CT.

      Delete