Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Wheatley? and Pete Hidy and Jim Leisenring

I recently made a purchase of a Wheatley fly box. The model is the 1401 clip box. I have had one for years and I like it for my spiders, soft hackles  wet flies and streamers. It has two different size clips making it versatile for carrying many sizes of flies. The clips are strong but do not crush the hackles even on some of the sparse spiders I tie. When I got the box I placed it on my table alongside the tying desk. It sat there a day or so and I finally got to open it up to check it out.

 

 

There was a little note folded up and placed in the clips. When I opened the note I was stunned. It informed me that my Wheatley fly box that has been made in England since 1860 is now made in Stafford Springs CT. Well I have to say i was on the net bound to find out what went down. I made contact with someone from Wheatley and was told 0...basically I was looking for a yes or no answer but instead got the I don't understand that. To me it is a clear as day. Going back and looking at the box it came packed in and it says  "Hand Made In USA"...more digging will happen.

Ah yes...the "book" came and I tell you there's going to be many nights under the tying lamp.




 

15 comments:

  1. I think mine was a cheap knock-off. As many times as I've almost pulled the trigger on that book :-/

    I've been using my UL spinning rod and little 1/32 - 1/16 spoons lately. Water has been really low and clear lately. Need to get back to the Tenkara rod. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. billp
      Thanks
      Bill I'm told it's a really good book. The wet fly-flymph bible. Tenkara is fun and just as soon as it stays above 50 I'll be using mine.

      Delete
  2. Great book ! I’m sure you’ll enjoy every page.
    Mike Canonico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resman549
      Thanks
      Mike I take it you have been a fan of it for some time.

      Delete
  3. Guess REC bought Wheatley in 2013.
    https://midcurrent.com/2013/03/28/rec-is-new-owner-of-richard-wheatley-products/
    Stock up on silk thread and a dubbing block to make all those wet flies.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Richard thanks for the link. It does clear things up. Not the same answers I got via email.
      The spinning block stuck right out as I flipped through the pages. Should be fun.

      Delete
  4. Agreed, the dubbing block is essential to the Leisenring style, along with hen necks from Charlie Collins of Collins Hackle Farm, Pine City, NY. Or you can use your pants leg like in the book! That is interesting about the Wheatley box place of manufacture, bought 2 for my sons last year and dealt with what I thought were the folks jn England. Have fun with the flymphs!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned Zeppelin
      Thanks
      Kevin I read that section on how to twist the dubbing on your leg. I will try it. The whole Wheatley thing is a mystery. On the back of the box is stamped "Wheatley Of England"....and on it goes.

      Delete
  5. Well, so much for that tradition... So many things aren't what they appear anymore. 'Partridge of Redditch' is another one. A wonderful old British company who now produces its hooks in Singapore. Let us know if the quality is up to the Wheatley name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh, yeah. You're going to love that book!

      Delete
    2. mike
      Thanks
      Mike not knowing what's what is common in today's life. I think it stinks. Not that the quality may have changed it's the sly way they change it. Cabela's a good company now is Bass Pro which stinks.
      I take it you have the "book"...

      Delete
  6. I do. Every now and then, a book comes along and actually manages to peel back the veneer and offer us some wonderfully well thought out insights. This is one of those books. You're going to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      From what I've read so far this book does just that...liking it here in Newington.

      Delete
  7. Coincidentally, Alan, I have been reading lately about how to do the Leisenring Lift while fishing wet flies and soft hackles. I usually just swing wet flies while mending a bit, but I have learned that there is a better way. I have to get back out, hopefully soon, and put what I have learned into practice.

    Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam that Leisenring lift is a little thing that produces strikes. I sometimes cast my fly and while it's drifting I will lift the fly several times. It's a method that works for me. Middle of next week they are calling for a few days of 60...

      Delete