Monday, May 17, 2021

You just never know, or do you.

As I move forward in life I have found some interesting challenges. While out and about one day Jeanette and I came upon a lovey crystal clear stream. Looking at it flowing through the woods the term ultra skinny blue line seemed to come into mind. I later looked on a pretty good map and to my surprise it was on there. A real scraggly line but being on the map it was a good indication that water flows in it all year. The plunge pool in the video shows some of why it may hold a trout. There are a couple of nice undercut banks. The rock at the head of the pool held a undercut to. I said to myself and to Jeanette...maybe just maybe there is a brookie in there. One way to find out. I removed the soft hackle fly I had on and a dry fly was tied on. Places like these need a dry fly for that's the way you'll find out if anything is in there. I planned just where to drop the fly and then let it happen. A nano second after hitting the water that little pool erupted. A few strong zig zags and low and behold a wild jewel was at hand.  
 

 

There were two brookies in that pool. I never saw two but I just felt it.

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Magic! It is as if the act of landing the dry fly causes the brookies to appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn one shot that's all you get with these guys. But I love the opportunity to be able to take it.

      Delete
  2. Alan
    Oh, how I love that sound, the closet I can get to the live stream is my rock fountains. Beautiful brook living there--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill the babbling brook, so sweet. Those creatures are truly special.

      Delete
  3. Remarkable!!
    That put a smile on my face.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe I knew you would enjoy a place as that. There is only one other stream that I can recall that is similar. That stream is located on SGL 183 in PA.

      Delete
  4. Remarkable critters, our brookies. I'm always amazed at the places they turn up; it constantly reaffirms hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mike
      Thanks
      Mike "reaffirms hope"...so true my friend.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Armando Milosevic
      Thanks
      Armando beautiful life can be found if one chooses to seek it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Alan

    It is brilliant when you formulate a plan and it is delivered to perfection!

    It is amazing where these fish will cling to an existance. There are streams on the North York moors near to me, Brooks & Becks and Flee & Float that are much the same as this one (and I am sure that Andy and Geaorge are in a much awe as me when they give up there trout).

    Take care and stay safe

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      Alistair I'll bet those gents have fished such streams. I would love to toss a "bomber" in one of them.

      Delete
  7. That is really something, Alan, brook trout in that little trickle. You continue to remind me that the brookies can be just about anywhere as long as there is a little water and that it stays cool enough.

    Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam
      Thanks
      Sam most times I will come up empty in a stream like that, but then again why not just try it and just maybe a surprise waits.

      Delete