Friday, May 14, 2021

The "Magic" Of.....

Over our lifetime we as anglers have found many things that inspire us. Not all are related to fly fishing or fishing in general. I have been so blessed with so many of these inspirations over sixty plus years and I can remember what they were, this is an accomplishment for I have difficulty  remembering what I had for breakfast some days. I would like to share this with you. In a magazine article published in the Spring 2004 issue of Fish & Fly. By the way I believe that magazine to be the finest publication ever to the passion which is fly fishing. The article was written by Datus Proper and it tells of his experience fishing Shenandoah National Park for wild brook trout. In that four page article are words that so profound that it inspired me to go see this place known as Shenandoah. It did take me about twelve years to get there but I did. Since that first time I have been back there four times and if all goes well I'll be back for a fifth time this year.
 

 


 The first page of the article. I wish I could show you the rest of it and allow you to read it.


 This tells you of what inspired me. I hope you can experience it on your own Native Mountain Brook Trout stream this Spring.

 

10 comments:

  1. Alan,
    The streams of Shenandoah park are very special. A must for the for the lover of small stream native brookies.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaverdam
      Thanks
      Joe I take it you have been to Shenandoah. The everything about it is just beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Alan, simply beautiful! I will check into this awesome looking magazine! It seems a cut above the other mags that are out there today!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug unfortunately it is no longer in production. It was truly a fly fishing magazine for those who love the sport. Great writing and photography, precise and in compact form.

      Delete
  3. A book of inspiration. The one in my life is called "The Silent World". I came across this book when I was probably 12 or 13. It was written by Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Frédéric Dumas. It was the prompt that got me into snorkeling and scuba diving which has been a BIG part of my life. Even bigger than fishing. Sometimes I think I was born with a snorkel in my mouth. My mother thought I was probably growing gills. Well, that's my contribution to this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz
      Thanks
      Wow Mark I would have never thought of you as and under water adventurer. I know it's a different world below the surface and you were one to enjoy it...inspirations.

      Delete
  4. Shenandoah. Another fine looking place to add to my list of places to visit (and fish).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn
      Thanks
      Shawn Shenandoah is a place that does live up to all that is said of it. You'll love it.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    The Shenandoah is the paradise of the east---the Smokies are nice but the Shenandoah is on another level. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. well ... I hope you do so and I wish you good luck in that place that must be wonderful ..

    ReplyDelete